Talk

Advanced search

Very obscure yet specific Harvard referencing query

(20 Posts)
BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 13:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeyheyheyGoodbye Thu 04-Dec-14 13:49:02

Can the student include the full references as an Appendix? So a truncated reference in the main text, as you suggest, and then an Appendix with full citations for each video?

It's obviously inappropriate to include the full references as in-line citations and not terribly good form to have miles and miles of references in the biblio either unless it's a systematic review (of course you know this yourself) but equally I would be unwilling to accept just the truncated reference. Including them as an Appendix might work!

drwitch Thu 04-Dec-14 13:55:05

so at some point she will need to describe (I hope) how she selected the videos. At that point she just needs to say something on the lines of "A full list of videos is given in Appendix ?).

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 13:56:16

schoolclosed Thu 04-Dec-14 13:57:39

Surely the student has to cite all of them somehow, but I'm not really sure that the 'how' matters that much. 'Various' and then give html links as a subsection of the bibliography would be fine, I reckon.

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 13:59:28

schoolclosed Thu 04-Dec-14 14:00:24

What about: blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/10/how-to-create-a-reference-for-a-youtube-video.html

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 14:01:04

drwitch Thu 04-Dec-14 14:01:09

My feeling is that the videos are not references but something like a set of survey responses. so this means that she needs to describe how she selected them, give some details about them (i.e. they were posted between x and y date, all UK based etc) and then list them in appendix.

schoolclosed Thu 04-Dec-14 14:02:43

Or this: www.library.illinois.edu/learn/research/citation/ama.html

You'd just have to use your judgement over 'various'...

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 14:03:30

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 14:06:13

lougle Thu 04-Dec-14 14:07:29

Use a figure number to label the diagram (e.g. figure 2). Write the first author alphabetically, followed by 'et al'. In the bibliography, have a subsection entitled 'Videos analysed in figure 2.' Then list each source.

schoolclosed Thu 04-Dec-14 14:13:28

I know this isn't even moderately helpful (and that I haven't been helpful so far either! Sorry!) but I can't help but feel that this is some of what's wrong with academia. The point is to communicate clearly, in order to ensure replicability. This, on the other hand, is hoop jumping in the hope of avoiding pointless pedantic criticism of a student whose work is actually pretty clear (as long as all the videos end up in the bibliography). Ugh. Can you tell I'm writing up a PhD? And then running for the non-academy hills.

drwitch Thu 04-Dec-14 14:13:51

no problem buffy

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 14:21:41

schoolclosed Thu 04-Dec-14 14:42:33

Buffy, I just currently over-identify with the student who has to write so defensively (and under-identify with the marker who has to wade though oceans of this stuff and has no time to do it in). I'm usually an excellent hoop-jumper/exam-passer, but I've just completely run out of patience with it at the end of three years. Thank you for coming back to be nice to me!

BuffytheFestiveFeminist Thu 04-Dec-14 15:18:36

Cleebourg Thu 04-Dec-14 15:54:34

Understand completely about hoops (though to my mind university styles that insist titles have caps exactly as in the original publication look a mess but I digress). When is the deadline? If not imminent, the student should contact whoever does the style guide, and ask for guidance as it "doesn't seem to be covered". In my limited experience, there's at least one reference in every dissertation that isn't helped by the style guide, the virtual world evolves too fast.

toothlessoldhag Fri 12-Dec-14 21:14:38

I agree with the others who've said that the videos are source material and therefore needn't be cited as a reference. If it was me I'd say under the Methods section that 20 youtube videos were selected according to criterial... The full list is in appendix x. Is the confusion arising because the student is quoting from the videos? That's not the same as quoting from an authoratative source (which is what a citation is for).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now