Talk

Advanced search

adult nursing interviews

(12 Posts)
Girlboymummy Sat 29-Nov-14 09:53:09

Just wanted some advice really, I have applied to 5 unis and so far have to interviews. Has anyone had any and could give me some tips on what to be expecting I'm so nervous and I really want to be successful

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 29-Nov-14 10:03:10

I just started a mental health nursing course this year . I think the interviews are fairly similar maybe only slightly different .

They will ask you why you want to become a nurse and what qualities you think are important in a nurse .

They also want you to talk about respect and dignity . And also about gaining consent , but I can't remember what questions I put those points in my answer .

Girlboymummy Sat 29-Nov-14 10:05:41

Thanks I just wanted to get myself organised this weekend as the interviews are only 3 weeks away

Girlboymummy Sat 29-Nov-14 10:06:13

Also how are you finding the course so far if you don't mind me asking

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 29-Nov-14 10:15:36

It is intense there's a lot to it but they provide us with so much support . All you really need are half decent organisational skills and you will be fine ! smile

I'm out on placement just now first placement started on Monday and that's me until I knock off for Christmas .

I'm trying to think what else they asked me at interview feels like a million years ago now ! grin

Girlboymummy Sat 29-Nov-14 10:26:40

I can imagine it so strange as I started an access course in September and it's ucas and interviews so soon!

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 29-Nov-14 10:59:32

Make sure you have looked at the latest government and department of health publications, have looked at the NMC Code and read things you can access from their website. Make sure you know the current targets and drivers. The Francis report and the implications for practice are still very current and the report has provided many of the drivers for current policy.

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 29-Nov-14 12:10:35

I had three last winter - at one they showed us a film and then asked (simple) questions about it which we had to write answers for. At another we had to write about what we thought our first day at placement would involve. I was surprised by the amount of questions about what I thought working on a ward would be like, what would happen, etc - lots of mature students have been HCAs, but they knew I hadn't. What I thought were important qualities for a nurse. General questions about my PS. Two had group discussion activities. Will come back if I think of anything else!

olaflikeswarmhugs Sat 29-Nov-14 12:51:30

Remembered another one !

They asked me what I thought the role of the student nurse was . They want you to say things like you would always inform a patient that you are a student and gain consent for you as a student to treat them . Also you are there in a learning capacity and not as a nurse so your primary role is to learn , but to treat patients within your competence and under supervision of your mentor.

Working within your limits of competence is also a good one to mention smile

Also you should read the NMC "The Code" and "Guidance for student nurses and midwives" these too standards will give you loads of things to say !

whitecloud Sat 29-Nov-14 17:31:52

My dd was asked about the voluntary work she had done. They were very interested in it.

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 29-Nov-14 19:28:22

Oh, they all three asked me if there was anything I thought I would find particularly difficult.

GraysAnalogy Tue 02-Dec-14 19:42:19

- Role of student nurse
- Why you want to be a nurse
- How you cope with stress
- Something recent in nursing news
- What you think the role of a student nurse would be

You may also get shown photos of scenarios like an obese child, or a woman taking drugs, and you discuss this as a group, relate it to nursing.

You'll need to do a maths test, and an english one. If you need to revise maths the SN@P website is good.

Depending on where you're applying depends on how hard it will be, some are much harder than others and some relatively easy. Nursing intakes are increasing so you've got a really good chance. Some people on my course just shouldn't have been there, they chose it because it was free and soon dropped out.

And good luck!! You'll be fine smile just try and be confident.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now