Academics: who do you talk to about your work?

(13 Posts)
BuffytheReasonableFeminist Fri 20-Jun-14 09:20:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
creamteas Fri 20-Jun-14 14:04:34

Unless you are in a very big dept, then yes that is what it is like for a lot of people.

The people closest to my research area are all elsewhere, so there is a lot of emails/social networking but not that many face-to-face meetings.

Where I work, there are areas of interest where I overlap with my colleagues, and we do read each others work, have seminars and talk, but it isn't the same as someone really passionate about an area.

JanineStHubbins Fri 20-Jun-14 16:23:14

I talk to my DH, who is also an academic in the same field. Sometimes that can be a bit full-on (too much 'work' in home life) so we go through periods of not discussing work, but he's generally my best and most acute critic. Also have close academic friends in the same broad field, and generally send work to them to be read (and reciprocate, of course!).

PiratePanda Sat 21-Jun-14 11:43:47

I meet up religiously once a month for a long lunch with a like-minded colleague in the same large city but different institution. That does wonders for both our sense of well-being. I've also found friending colleagues on facebook to be productive of some awesome virtual conversations. You may also find that your professional society has regional meetings -- or you could set one up!!

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sat 21-Jun-14 11:46:07

Echo chamber here too, most of the time. I know a few people at far off institutions, and someone at my old department has been fantastic about meeting up and reading stuff, but mainly just my own inadequate and insecure mind, most of the time.
It's not good for confidence, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Lomaamina Sat 21-Jun-14 19:53:23

I'm lucky to have a research group that I can sometimes share stuff with, though we tend to overlap only slightly, but I also blog and, dare I say it, tweet! I had a great exchange a couple of days ago about a random fact I found related to my field, with three people joining in and loads more commenting a few hours later once the retweets got going.

DH is very indulgent about my breathless enthusiasm, but I've learned to shut up once his eyes fully glaze over grin

timetoclean Sun 22-Jun-14 16:31:33

Another echo chamber here. I find it's worse during the summer because I get little human contact actually. No one is in the office as they're on holiday or working from home, so I work at home to avoid needlessly commuting, and spend all day staring at my living room walls. Luckily my husband is a good sounding board, but as with most things he usually says something like "don't know, what do you think?" if I ask him a question about my work hmm

Researchgate seems to have some good discussion boards on it about specific topics, but I'm a little scared to post on it in case I have an opinion that I'm embarrassed about in 20 years but is all over the internet.

Advertisement

LRDtheFeministDragon Sun 22-Jun-14 22:49:47

I bend DH's ear, too. blush

There's a group of us who are hopefully going to meet regularly (first meeting last month). I've got a few mates I meet up for coffee with and can chat to a bit, though we try not to talk about work too much. And I've got some lovely friends who're not academics/not in my discipline but who chat to me about the stress side rather than the work side. Other than that it's twitter and blogging, both fairly recently.

I am jealous of people who seem to have a really tight-knit community and who regularly read each other's work. The only people who read my stuff are my (now-ex) supervisors, and people who read my blog which is not particularly academic. I probably ought to push myself a bit more.

MagratGarlik Sun 22-Jun-14 23:44:32

It is one of the reasons I left. Lack feeling of working towards any common goal. DP and I worked closely together on many things, our research interests were complementary and we had several joint grants and research papers, but I missed the comparative collegiality of "industry".

PiratePanda Mon 23-Jun-14 09:20:53

Read? Who has time to read any more? grin

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Mon 23-Jun-14 09:53:08

PiratePanda Mon 23-Jun-14 10:02:38

I've been trying to read two whole academic books for a very very overdue book review and have discovered my concentration is shot to pieces. Combination of t'interwebs invading every aspect of my life and a 3-yr-old DS.

BuffytheReasonableFeminist Mon 23-Jun-14 10:11:10

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in