Talk

Advanced search

Midwifery - how do you cope with young children?

(10 Posts)
Sickandtired14 Wed 26-Mar-14 23:14:13

I'm looking at all my options as I want to study midwifery. I can take a HE access course and then go to uni. I have a 20 month old now and am pregnant, due September, which slightly derailed my study plans in that I postponed everything for a year as there's no way I can study full time with a new born!!

My question, and worries, are: how do you study at college/uni FT doing shifts on the degree course when you have 2 young children? My DH works and in his current job he could drop at school/nursery easily but then collection would be tough if I was still in classes. My mum is not actually close enough to just pick them up and keep them til I come home. I'm just struggling to see how we would juggle everything. I really want to study and qualify but can't see how I can really!

justasmallone Wed 26-Mar-14 23:20:33

Aupair?

Bornin1984 Wed 26-Mar-14 23:22:15

You also need to take into consideration shifts! Listens early and nights! I guess it's manageable if you gave good support network

Innogen Thu 27-Mar-14 01:45:57

Ask this question to the people who run the course. I find that universities can be very flexible. Part time study is a very positive option.

MsIngaFewmarbles Thu 27-Mar-14 01:59:02

You will (depending on household income) get a bursary which can include childcare costs. A lot of the year is in placement rather than lectures so you need to be organised for that. The trust that I train at run 12 hour shifts in the hospital, community is generally office ish hours.

I'm in my second year now after doing an access course before uni. It's tough and exhausting and sometimes all consuming. Finding time to study and write essays is difficult. You need to have a supportive partner and/or family to make it all work. Good luck and PM me if I can help more.

Sickandtired14 Thu 27-Mar-14 08:18:12

Thanks for replies. Can't afford an au pair. If we could I wouldn't be worrying at all!!

I do realise the shifts, that's why I'm worrying. If it was simple 9-5 studies it would t be an Issue as we could organise childcare and friends and relatives to do nursery/school runs etc but it's the shifts that worry me. Ie my DH can drop at nursery/school, but then no one can collect cos he's working and I'm doing a shift.... I'm just worried this could derail me completely and then I'll never do it. I guess we just have to make it work.... Guess I was just hoping for a few people to tell me how they cope so I can get some examples!!

GothDetective Thu 27-Mar-14 08:22:12

It isn't just three years of training is it? Its the rest of your life working shifts.

I'm a midwife and we get no choice in shifts at all, its all done by e roster system. There's no flexibility, no family friendly working patterns, you can't say that you can't do pâtés, etc. many people have had to leave as they were told service needs come first.

As a student you have to work with your mentor. If your mentor is on nights, lates, Easter Sunday you work with them.

When I did my training dh had to do all drop offs and pick ups at the child minder. It was rare that I did. Dd is a teenager now so thankfully not a problem.

GothDetective Thu 27-Mar-14 08:23:13

Lates not pâtés!

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Thu 27-Mar-14 08:29:41

You'll need a flexible childminder who can pickbup from school and nursery.

It will probably cost you more but you will need to see it as investment in long term career if it's what you want to get into.

GothDetective Thu 27-Mar-14 08:34:26

What time does your dh finish work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now