Talk

Advanced search

What is good volunteering experience for a paramedic career?

(11 Posts)
Northerner7777 Sun 16-Mar-14 22:51:06

My ds wishes to become a paramedic, he was going to join the army but a recent medical diagnosis has ruled this out so he wants to do the same thing on civvy street. We have looked into it and I have suggested he get some volunteering experience. I was thinking Mountain Rescue or St Johns Ambulance? Maybe get an adult first aid qualification (he already has a child's one and a heart start certificate)
DS is 17, 18 later on this month therefore it wouldn't be too hard to join any of these group would it?
Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed on what would be good volunteering.
Thank you

AnyFucker Sun 16-Mar-14 22:55:47

Good for him. I second St Johns Ambulance.

I also suggest Red Cross volunteering and possibly an overseas placement if he could manage that

Featherbag Sun 16-Mar-14 23:11:22

St John's, Red Cross, The Samaritans.

rightsaidfrederick Mon 17-Mar-14 04:58:03

Not really my area, but if he hasn't already he should be watching this series www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03xqbrw/Junior_Paramedics_Episode_3/

Northerner7777 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:28:42

Hes started watching that, finds it quite interesting and scary at the same time. Hes really getting into it surprisingly. That programme would put me off haha.
Hes enquiring about St John Ambulance theres one in our area so fingers crossed.

paula5246 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:06:19

Has he aslo thought about starting to work towards getting his C1 driving license?

Martorana Sun 23-Mar-14 19:11:10

And normal university entrance qualifications, obviously.

ems1910 Sun 23-Mar-14 19:12:43

OH is a paramedic. He says doing care assistant shifts in homes and hospitals will help. Under 18s can't usually do personal care but other tasks will be available and give him a taste of caring for people. Also the patient transport service may accept volunteers.

Many students don't drive at first but it's always worth doing it now anyway.

Northerner7777 Mon 31-Mar-14 22:49:03

Hes going to St Johns with a friend on Wednesday and the theory test is booked for a normal licence. Thinking about trying to get the C1 done as well whilst DS is getting experience. Had a look at a few unis, the courses seem quite good. Does anyone know whether there will be any difference in gaining employment with a FdSc or DipHE rather than BSc because all 3 are offered at various unis around the country and DS is unsure about what would be the best option as they all lead to registration with HCPC and will allow him to get a job.

ems1910 Wed 02-Apr-14 10:22:20

OH is at work but I can ask him when he gets home later or when he rings grin)

NomDeClavier Wed 02-Apr-14 11:06:13

I know nothing about paramedical careers but in my previous sector although DipHE, FD and BA were all fine for registration/work recent shifts have mean you're pretty much screwed unless you have the full degree. Similar thing happened to nursing so for long term prospects the full degree is probably worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now