Best way to study for mums??

(4 Posts)
MrsBright Wed 29-Jan-14 18:46:46

Midwifery isnt an easy course to combine with kids. Like nursing it isnt a breezy three years as a student - its more like doig a demanding NHS job with training - you will be doing anti-social hours shifts from your first year, not just sitting in a classroom. Mums do cope but they need VERY flexible childcare.

The easiest pre-Uni course to combine with kids is Open University - its designed for peolpe exactly like you. Relevant stuff at Just check that your intended Uni will accept OU credits (and which credits) for admissions. You will also need some health-care experience if you dont already have it - paid or voluntary.

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:46

Sorry, you did say what you wanted to do. Are A-levels essential?

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:00

What do you want to do at university? Are you set on a specific uni?

Some universities take mature students without A-levels. You can also take a part time course to get a degree - or even an evening course which you can complete around your children if you have childcare at night time.

Some people suit open university courses but personally I couldn't do it, it was a lifeline to me to have a class to go to with support of a tutor and other members of class.

Susie89 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:09:21

I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 6 month old, my eldest is in his 1st year at school, once all kiddies are at school I'm hoping to go to uni to train to become a midwife, I started an access course when my eldest son was around 1 but it was full time and I was also working at the time so it was just too much and I gave it up, the entry requirements for my uni course are 3 As at A Level or 36 credits 18 at higher, I haven't got any A levels but I was thinking about maybe doing some from home? It would be hard for me to college at the moment as I still have 2 children at home, I have seen some really bad reviews on some home colleges so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one? Or would I just be better off waiting a few years and doing another access course? Thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in