Best way to study for mums??

(4 Posts)
MrsBright Wed 29-Jan-14 18:46:46

Midwifery isnt an easy course to combine with kids. Like nursing it isnt a breezy three years as a student - its more like doig a demanding NHS job with training - you will be doing anti-social hours shifts from your first year, not just sitting in a classroom. Mums do cope but they need VERY flexible childcare.

The easiest pre-Uni course to combine with kids is Open University - its designed for peolpe exactly like you. Relevant stuff at http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/health-and-social-care/index.htm Just check that your intended Uni will accept OU credits (and which credits) for admissions. You will also need some health-care experience if you dont already have it - paid or voluntary.

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:46

Sorry, you did say what you wanted to do. Are A-levels essential?

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 29-Jan-14 15:14:00

What do you want to do at university? Are you set on a specific uni?

Some universities take mature students without A-levels. You can also take a part time course to get a degree - or even an evening course which you can complete around your children if you have childcare at night time.

Some people suit open university courses but personally I couldn't do it, it was a lifeline to me to have a class to go to with support of a tutor and other members of class.

Susie89 Wed 29-Jan-14 15:09:21

I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a 6 month old, my eldest is in his 1st year at school, once all kiddies are at school I'm hoping to go to uni to train to become a midwife, I started an access course when my eldest son was around 1 but it was full time and I was also working at the time so it was just too much and I gave it up, the entry requirements for my uni course are 3 As at A Level or 36 credits 18 at higher, I haven't got any A levels but I was thinking about maybe doing some from home? It would be hard for me to college at the moment as I still have 2 children at home, I have seen some really bad reviews on some home colleges so I was wondering if anyone could recommend one? Or would I just be better off waiting a few years and doing another access course? Thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in