Advanced search

UCAS forms sent - just the waiting game now !

(1000 Posts)
snowyowl70 Fri 27-Sep-13 23:07:03

My super organised DD1 has had email today to say her forms/reference have been received and should be at her chosen Unis in the next 48 hrs !!!!! So the waiting begins - to those seasoned parents who have done this before can you remember how long they had to wait for their first responses ? At least 2 out of her 5 may call her for interview (MFL) so am guessing these might be fairly on the ball ?

Littleham Tue 10-Jun-14 11:51:39

Slightly confused, as the table says AAC. Am I reading it wrong?

HesGotStyleAGrooveyStyle Tue 10-Jun-14 11:48:55

Thanks for the info.

AAC is still outside the students boundary cap SEE OFFICIAL INFO HERE

I just noticed that AA plus an A at AS is outside the cap. confused

titchy Tue 10-Jun-14 11:47:48

Littleham - as far as the numbers cap goes AAC is THE SAME as ABB which might reassure.

Littleham Tue 10-Jun-14 11:35:13

I'm really unsure what to do tbh. She is pretty sure that she has got high marks in her other two subjects, so may end up with AAC instead of AAB Firm (ABB insurance) offer. I understand this may be a problem, as it is below the ABB boundary cap. How ruthless are universities when students end up in this situation? Do you think insurance will be flexible?

Don't see the point of rating teacher online as this person is going abroad for next job. Also don't want to cause any flack. My DH thinks that if we approached the school they might be on defensive, as it would mean admitting error on the part of leadership team. School knows very well about problems as the formal complaints from other parents go into double figures. I'll speak to her tutor off the record, to see what he thinks we should do.

The course was Justin Craig by the way. Completely amazing, fabulous teaching. Can't thank them enough for at least giving her a small chance.

Needmoresleep Tue 10-Jun-14 10:04:44

Littleham, does this open up to you having a frank conversation with the school (Head) about what they can do to right the wrong they have done your daughter. With the teacher leaving there is no need to mention her, and the school should be willing to accept that this years candidates will have suffered.

Congratulations though to your daughter for taking on the challenge. A least when she gets to University she should have resilience and good independent learning skills.

HesGotStyleAGrooveyStyle Tue 10-Jun-14 09:53:31

Littleham. That good to hear that the three day course was so effective especially as I know they are expensive. If you don't mind, could you let me know which company it was? Thank you.

Horsemad Tue 10-Jun-14 09:43:51

Have only found one teacher from DC's school on there and the school info was wrong. Will keep searching!
Surely anyone with a gripe could badmouth someone, thus casting aspersions on their character?

Petrasmumma Tue 10-Jun-14 09:22:49

Horsemad - sure, the comments do vary but for us the comments rang true with parents' complaints at our school.

Horsemad Tue 10-Jun-14 09:00:38

That Rate My Teacher is a strange site! Would students seriously take notice of some of the rubbish that is posted on there?

Petrasmumma Tue 10-Jun-14 07:51:27

Littleham - great news. You might want to take a look at Rate My Teacher online and make a comment so that the students at the teacher's next school are warned.

Comments from previous school's students helped us act sooner when we encountered a problem.

Littleham Mon 09-Jun-14 17:38:03

DD1 had the worst day today - German A2 and Chemistry. German went well, Chemistry / not so sure. Hope that doesn't mean clearing...

Newsflash - Chemistry teacher leaving (don't know why, but at least the school seems to have done something). Also it means that I don't have to complain which is good.

traceyinrosso70 Thu 05-Jun-14 22:00:54

DD1 is 4 down and 2 to go but is struggling to keep up the momentum now - two language papers to go so not volumes of stuff to memorise so she feels like she should be working all day whereas after 2-3 hours she feels like she has done as much as she can constructively ! 2 weeks today it will be done one way or the other !

lalsy Wed 04-Jun-14 22:00:42

Thanks from me too and very good luck to all dc. Littleham, I am glad the first one went well. dd has done one, four left, seems to have fizzled out a bit and is tense about two (a clash) on Friday.

Littleham Tue 03-Jun-14 17:03:42

I do hope so. The first Chemistry exam this afternoon went fine. She has six exams left.

traceyinrosso70 Tue 03-Jun-14 16:35:28

As the OP but under a different name it has been great tuning in to see how others are getting on !fingers crossed Littleham that your DD gets the needed grade for Chemistry. My DD1 is 4 exams down and 2 to go and all gone OK so far. Just 10 weeks until results day and they will all be out of their torment and hopefully we will all be discussing packing them off to their chosen Uni !

Littleham Tue 03-Jun-14 13:35:13

Would also like to thank everyone on this thread, as it has been a bit of a lifeline to me. I'm glad none of my children want to do medicine, especially as Chemistry would probably be required! Good luck with that Needmoresleep.

I will be grateful if my daughter gets a university place at all & don't mind if it is firm or reserve, or even clearing. As she got all A* and A's at GCSE and two subjects at A level are usually A's it would be awful if this third subject messes up her chances. She has her first Chemistry exam this afternoon, so fingers crossed. Took some wise advice & she went on a three day course covering the whole syllabus, which got her past papers up from an E to a B. In three days! She needs a B in Chemistry to get her first choice. Tutor said that she hadn't been taught half of the content and picked it up quickly. Tutor also said she was capable of getting an A with more time. Heartbreaking.

If we have left it too late and the grade is low on results day, I might be after some advice about writing a letter. The current AS year (year below my daughter) are also getting E's and U's (usually A / B students), so this teacher has a track record. I'll certainly ask the school about a preemptive letter. Any suggestions welcome.

Needmoresleep Mon 02-Jun-14 17:02:21

Littleham, how is it going? If she gets the grades your daughter will really have earned her place. Is the school willing to write something preemptive to explain that should she fall slightly short it is their rather than her fault. I assume the academics amongst us will have suggestions on how this might be done.

Now he has his offer, DS seems (too) relaxed. Taking 5 A levels is an advantage as it gives him scope to slip up on one or two papers. LSE wont count the further maths, perhaps just as well because the general view seems to be that the mechanics papers before half term were real stinkers.

Before the thread gets to 1000 I just wanted to thank everyone. The UCAS process was lengthy and awful and I was very grateful for the kind and supportive messages.

Dd says she wants to study medicine. Should I try to ban her? If not I will see some of you back here in 15 months time.

Molio Sun 01-Jun-14 22:16:46

First A Level (history) at 9am tomorrow and first Finals paper at 9.30am. Also an AS at 1.20pm.

Good luck to all!

YourLittleSecret Sun 01-Jun-14 17:34:43

DS has been working 8 hours a day during the last week. He hasn't been dressed since Wednesday. My coaxing to have a break and get out is politely but firmly refused. I plan to bribe him out of the house tomorrow.

Thread almost full. I guess we'll need a new one - results and onward.

boys3 Sun 01-Jun-14 17:16:46

First exam here tomorrow, also History (AQA). I think DS1 will be glad to finally get started. only, four exams that actually count, but dragged out over the next three weeks. Then the dreaded wait to results day, gulp!

traceyinrosso70 Sun 01-Jun-14 14:55:57

Wow, that must have been a marathon Horsemad !! Can't profess to being an expert but we are on the last push now with DD1 with 3 exams down and 3 to go (history tomorrow) and the ucas/open days seem dim and distant memories! But, if you need to pick our brains there are some very helpful people on the thread.

traceyinrosso70 Sun 01-Jun-14 14:55:35

Wow, that must have been a marathon Horsemad !! Can't profess to being an expert but we are on the last push now with DD1 with 3 exams down and 3 to go (history tomorrow) and the ucas/open days seem dim and distant memories! But, if you need to pick our brains there are some very helpful people on the thread.

Horsemad Sun 01-Jun-14 12:07:31

I have just read this thread (in 2 days!) and feel exhausted!

Am just starting out on the well trodden path of open days with first DC, so completely new to the experience.

I have gleaned so much info from this thread, but my mind is now whirling!

I do hope that all your DC get the grades they need. Good Luck!

hattymattie Sat 24-May-14 13:29:52

Thanks Nemno - will bear this in mind:-)

nemno Fri 23-May-14 15:55:39

hattymattieAdjustment is for when you have exceeded the offer conditions of your firm choice. Your place is kept at your firm choice while you explore adjustment options.

If you want to explore 'better' opportunities than your insurance choice then you search the universities in clearing. Then you have to explain to the chosen universitiy what you are doing and ask the one you want to hold you a place and then you have to ask the insurance choice to release you to clearing. They are not obliged to make this a speedy priority.This is risky as you do have to relinquish your place without any guarantee that the new place will wait long enough for you. But it is possible and is done, some places release more readily than others. Accommodation at the new place can be a real headache though, depending on university.

This is what I learned going through it with my 2 but I am a couple of years out of date.

This thread is not accepting new messages.