Childcare while studying

(5 Posts)
Kafri Mon 26-Aug-13 21:37:39


I'm looking into going back to education to study for a degree.

I know I gap can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the costs of fees but does anyone know where I stand with child are costs? I have an 8m old and no family help available for childcare.
We can manage to get by on my husbands income and paying us some of my recent inheritance each month but not if I end up having to pay full nursery fees aswell. Does anyone know anything about this?

OP’s posts: |
MagratGarlik Tue 27-Aug-13 00:12:19

Does your university have an onsite nursery? My previous employer did and they offered places to students at half the staff rate.

Aside from this, I don't know explicitly about childcare costs, but most universities will have a hardship fund that you can apply to if things are getting tight.

Once you get your timetable, you are likely to find you don't need full time childcare though, unless you are doing medicine, sciences or teacher training.

Fraxinus Tue 27-Aug-13 00:14:10

If you are under a certain age, you can get a 'care to learn' grant. Google it.

Rummikub Tue 27-Aug-13 00:19:35

There is a childcare grant available as well as the tuition fee and maintenance loans you can apply for.

Hardship funds from the university and bursaries are also available.

You could also check out EGAS, educational grants advisory service. You answer questions about your circumstances and it matches you up with various charities and educational trusts that have funds that ŷou maybe eligible for. It's not huge sums, but 'every little helps' to steal a tag line!

Kafri Wed 28-Aug-13 10:02:25

My local college has an information evening tonight so i'm going to go along and speak to someone about my options. I don't mind spending all my inheritance on getting my degree as I know my mum was keen for me to do it but I know there won't be enough to cover the wage i'd lose and full childcare for the duration of the course IYSWIM.
(I wasn't sure if my first post read like I didn't want to spend my own money)

I'm due to go back to work next week and nursery is £125 a week for 5 mornings which the majority is covered by TC due to the amount i'll be earning. If I didn't earn my wage, I wouldn't be entitled to the TC to cover nursery so to go to uni, i'll be losing my wage but still having nursery to pay for.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in