More than one student loan?

(3 Posts)
potentialstudent Wed 29-May-13 18:52:35

Hi, I have spent the afternoon looking at the direct gov pages but I can't seem to find a definitive answer...

I am a working Mum in my forties without a degree. My children are teens now and I would like to do a degree at an evening college such as Birkbeck.

I have A levels gained many years ago and was thinking of doing an OU 60 point course this year to get back into studying and show that I am committed enough. I don't want to do a whole degree via OU and the OU course will probably not be eligible for any credit against the degree at Birkbeck which is part time evenings and takes 4 years. I can get a student loan for the OU course which is over £2000 as I can't really afford to pay upfront. But if I take out a loan for it, can I still get a loan for my part time 4 year degree course? The loan I am looking at is fees only.

Many thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
titchy Wed 29-May-13 20:19:00

You're eligible for the equivalent of four full time years of fee loans, so if the OU course is worth half a year, you'll still have 3.5 full time years worth of loans, which would cover a full time 3 year degree, or equivalent such as birkbecks 4 year part time degrees. You could start at Birkbeck without doing OU first tthough

potentialstudent Thu 30-May-13 06:07:24

Thanks titchy!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in