Advanced search

Student finance if parents separate during the course

(3 Posts)
SlowlorisIncognito Sun 27-Jan-13 22:40:51

I am not sure about the rest of this year, but for next year there is a way to be assessed on the current tax year, rather than the previous one, if your household income has dropped by x%. It is basically just a different form to fill out, and the application can usually be found online (when they become available for 2013/14).

I agree there should be a finance office at the university who may be able to give more details, and provide information about possible bursaries (these are useful as even if it is only a small amount it often flags you up for other things such as help paying for any compulsory trips).

To find out your exact entitlement, you should look here student finance calculator

creamteas Wed 23-Jan-13 20:16:52

You should be able to.

Your DS's uni should have student advisers who can help with issues such as negotiating with the SLC. Sometimes they are part of the student union, sometimes under student support. It is probably worth while him going to see them. They are quite often the gateway to hardships funds as well, if you and he are struggling

oldfatandtired1 Wed 23-Jan-13 18:56:45

My DS started at Un in September 2011. He was eligible for the minimum loan as between us my H and I earned too much. I February 2012 H walked out on me. As yet I have not started divorce proceedings because H cleaned out our joint accounts and I don't know how I'll pay for it . . . I did see a solicitor for advice at the time.

My question is, can DS now get a grant/be reassessed? He lives with me in the hols and has seen his father 3 times in the past year. My salary is just under 27k per annum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now