Advanced search

Funding a second degree

(20 Posts)
troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 17:10:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

titchy Wed 23-Jan-13 17:18:42

Is the course eligible for nhs bursary? Pg social work is but not sure about ug? If so you'd get a loan as exempt course.

troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 17:49:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

creamteas Wed 23-Jan-13 18:40:10

Are there any local organisations that will support you to qualify via the OU?

I have known a couple of people who already had degrees qualify that way.

troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 19:14:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Thu 24-Jan-13 04:42:22

Do you have any thing that could count to get you a disabled students' allowance (DSA)?

Dyslexia, health problems etc?

At the moment (I'm sure they will change it soon) if you are entitled to DSA you can do a second degree on the same funding basis as a first degree.

With the OU you could do a unit/module or two and study over a longer period.

Go to your local library and get hold of the 'directory of grant making trusts' - it is a huge book and lists charities that will give financial support.

I used it to supplement my finances at uni. It is hard work and for most you have to be in one or more specific categories.

I used to spend two weeks treating it like a full time job to contact possibilities.

I made a data base and sent a standard letter to about 100 at a time, I would get a response from about 15, and out of that 1 or 2 would have funding available. They seem to like you applying to a number of charities, so put that in your application.

Most were set up in Victorian times so have wonderful phrases like, "This fund is to help a woman of good standing better herself by acquiring a trade", one was for "People of the parish who find themselves impotent".

Also try EGAS - link bellow- also lists sources of funding

boomting Thu 24-Jan-13 09:30:46

I'd suggest simply talking to the relevant university(s). It may very well be that care council bursaries are done on the same basis as NHS bursaries, which allow you a second degree that is funded by the NHS.

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 11:06:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boomting Thu 24-Jan-13 12:06:08

A career development loan may be a partial solution...

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 12:18:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pippop1 Thu 24-Jan-13 18:22:33

Do you have room to take a lodger in? Could you give up one reception room if you have two?

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 18:33:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Fri 25-Jan-13 03:54:02

And the DSA will only pay for specific things- which would be helpful, but not solve the fees issue

Yes it does. Well not completely.

page 5

However if you get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) you will qualify for an exemption. The maximum you will pay for fees on a second degree course will be £3,375 per year.

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 11:20:30

sashh the information on the link you gave on fees of DSA exception relates to 2011/12 when fees were 3,375. Do you have more updated info?

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 11:41:00

sashh Social Work degrees do qualify for grant for second undegraduate degree when the student is DSA but do you have recent details as to how much?

troyandabedinthemorning Fri 25-Jan-13 12:42:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 13:34:25

troyandabedinthemorning do you think it would be possible for you to work PT and do the course PT?

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 13:38:37

troyandabedinthemorning you might wish to try this link and see if it is any use to you. routes and part time/FT options

troyandabedinthemorning Fri 25-Jan-13 15:23:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Sat 26-Jan-13 06:28:23

Sorry the stuff was out of date, I'll have another look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now