Talk

Advanced search

Pitman Medical Secretary Training

(10 Posts)
marchevka Wed 23-Jan-13 11:41:41

Hi,
Can anybody help me and answer few questions? I am interested in doing a medical secretary course with Pitman (although they are expensive) and I want to know if they are worth it, if it was easy to get a job after the course, and if there are any cheaper options but equally good? I juist dont wanna end up paying for a training and then ending up with no job as ive already spent a lot on education. Has anybody done the pitman training and could give me some details?
Thanks

Metalhead Tue 16-May-17 10:51:33

I know this is an old thread but bumping in case any new posters have any input, as I've been considering this too.

PookieDo Wed 17-May-17 21:35:04

I was a medical secretary for a long time and never had this training. I did an NVQ at school where I learned to touch type and audio type and I learned medical terminology through experience not formally.

Having been on the HR side as well, experience counts just as much if not more than the training - it's all well and good to have the training but the actual experience is usually what lands you a role in the NHS. Do you have any experience?

The main skills you will require are audio typing, word processing and touch typing skills - wherever you get them from, it does not have to be pittmans. You can get this training more cheaply if money is an issue. You can even teach yourself to touch type.

Medical terminology is actually quite blag-able - we have google! Also I always worked from patient notes so would use the previous letters to work from if I was in a new environment.

If you want to work in the NHS, getting a non med sec role such as receptionist or general admin and gaining experience and terminology works pretty well - almost all med secs I know have done this, then worked up from general admin to senior secretary over time.

I'm not saying don't do it but it's costly from what I remember and not something that is essential - it's desireable

Metalhead Thu 18-May-17 14:04:25

Thanks pookie, that's really helpful!

I don't have much admin experience as such apart from some voluntary work I did a couple of years back, though I do work in a professional office job so am quite good with computers, have decent typing speed etc. I've tried to apply for admin positions in the past but never even got an interview, so thought something like this course might give me a bit of an edge; but maybe I'll try teaching myself touch typing first!

MaidenMotherCrone Thu 18-May-17 14:18:39

Touch typing is a must as is Audio Typing. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Text and Word Processing too. Try at your local college for City & Guilds Medical Terminology, you can pick it up as you go but having shown you have applied yourself and achieved the qualification will look good on your C.V.
Can you ask at your local college if they do an AMSPA approved Medical Administration Course?
The terminology is quite easy once you learn your prefixes, roots and suffixes.

Metalhead Thu 18-May-17 20:34:27

Thanks maiden, the only college near us doesn't do any courses that look useful to me.

MaidenMotherCrone Thu 18-May-17 21:22:48

The AMSPAR & City & Guilds course is £1050.
Google bsmsa.co.uk. It's a good course and covers everything you need.

Metalhead Thu 18-May-17 22:18:35

I'll look into that, thanks!

zizza Sun 21-May-17 20:43:04

I interview medical secretaries (and am one with a diploma from many years ago!) And I'd snap up someone with the relevant​qualification!

Metalhead Tue 23-May-17 15:13:47

Thanks zizza, that's good to hear! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now