Advanced search

DD thinking of studying French at a French uni

(58 Posts)
NigellasGuest Sun 09-Dec-12 11:29:35

DD is in her final GCSE year and thinking ahead to A'levels - so this isn't an urgent query, just preliminary investigation!

She likes French and is good at it - and has said that if she ends up doing well enough in it, she might like to study it at Uni. And if she studies it at Uni, she would like that to be a French uni.

Is this a common thing to do? It sounds like a nice idea to me, but how would one go about finding out about suitable universities in France - and is their system totally different to ours here in the UK?

If anyone has any first hand experience or is considering something similar I would love to read your comments!

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Wed 12-Dec-12 19:40:19

By the way, several unis do law and French law (including Essex and uea), several also do French and law - more of those as French law lecturers are few and far between in the uk.

Despite my experiences, I would still do it again and would highly recommend anyone the opportunity to spend some time abroad.

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Wed 12-Dec-12 19:46:56

I studied french and German at a UK uni. Included 3 months in France and a year in Germany.

Then I passed the 'concours' (entrance exams) for a grande ecole business school in France. Got my masters and have worked here ever since. Am now bilingual. I would not have been able to do a French degree in France aged 18.

A brilliant experience was working for haven europe campsites in France in the summer. Meant I got some French experience but in a very fun setting !

PattyPenguin Thu 13-Dec-12 02:40:50

Something else to ponder is how you finance the course fees (usually smaller than in the UK) and living expenses (which vary, but would be steep in Paris, for instance) for a child undertaking a whole degree course abroad. You can't get a UK student loan for that.

Mindingalongtime Thu 13-Dec-12 12:49:09

Patty If you can't get a UK student loan for a degree in France I wonder why DD owes £10K on her student loan? But the ULIP is University of London. She did also earn roughly £100+ a week as a nou nou, we didn't give her any money, bar the occasional Eurostar ticket. She had a very nice lifestyle and rented a lovely little studio flat in the 7th, next to Uni.

DD did 3 years in Paris, and absolutely loved it, It was a huge learning curve, it was scary at first, filling in everything in French, bank account, rental agreements, calling out the plumber, but delighted to find the pompiers ( firemen) came instead etc. It was total immersion at Uni, no English, all admin in French

She is fluent, and now works in a French speaking country in a highly paid job with a big 4 Accountancy company and makes presentations in French and has been commended on her English accent!

fraktion Thu 13-Dec-12 19:43:09

Because it's a UK degree, not a French one, issued by a UK institution. A UK student loan wouldn't be granted for a degree studied at a Gremch institution. You'd need a bourse bit I don't know how easy that is for students not resident in France.

The Ditch used to give out bursaries like sweeties though.

examtaxi Fri 14-Dec-12 19:25:02

Just marking my place as I was about to start a thread on this very subject. smile

homeaway Tue 18-Dec-12 14:21:27

Here is my pennies worth : It can be done but I dont think I would push any of my kids to do it. I am very glad that my dd decided to go to the Uk and study French and she is totally bilingual and could have gone to any French uni . Many courses in the UK offer a year abroad and that is for me a better option. Belgium might be another option for you to look at , I think that Liege has generally a good reputation, but it is hard . This has been mentioned before but there is no selection process at the start so everybody gets in but they weed the weakest out. I know of kids who have struggled with the system. English universities I think tend to view the student as a whole and from what i have seen it is easier for them to get help if they need it. The" French" way of teaching is not the same as the "English " way and it does not suit everybody, ask any ES student which teachers were more lenient and they would probably all say the English teachers smile.
I think you have to apply to French unis by the end of March, for the Belgian universities you need to get a certificat d'equivalence and you have to start the ball rolling before the summer. You have to consider that the level of French at a French speaking university will be very very high and they wont make allowances for a non fluent French speaker. My ds who is in his last year of school is studying homere in French, the French teachers don't like it and neither do the kids , French is their second language ,but kids who come from a French school and do their bac will be studying that .
Another thing is that in the UK if you are studying French you have the choice at least in the first year to write your essays in French or English , in France the choice does not exist so every spelling mistake, grammatical mistake willl count...
Good luck with your choices.

creamteas Tue 18-Dec-12 18:20:17

Another thing is that in the UK if you are studying French you have the choice at least in the first year to write your essays in French or English

not at my uni grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now