Advanced search

Already have a degree but would like to study midwifery

(5 Posts)
GhostShip Wed 19-Dec-12 21:25:10

And you can't study part time. It's full time only. When you're on placement you'll be working about 37 hours a week, not including travelling time (they can put you anywhere within the NHS trust)

GhostShip Wed 19-Dec-12 21:23:18

Hello smile

I'm currently on the Access Course because I want to be a midwife.

As it's an English degree you've done, I'd fully recommend doing an access course or at least an Open Uni course or two of the relevant units, a Biology one is always handy.

It's one of the most competitive courses (i'm talking 700 applicants for 30 places) so you really do need to be on top of your game, preferably with healthcare experience and/or voluntary work which relates to it. Sure Start centres are a good place to start, or PANDA (a charity for pre and post natal depression) are always looking for volunteers.

You need to fully understand the role of a midwife, uni's will expect you to know this in and out. It's silly really, since thats what we want to go to uni to learn. is the place to be smile

sashh Sat 08-Dec-12 02:59:34

However, as an NHS student you would receive full student funding, including having your childcare costs covered.

You might not. It's worth checking. It depends on your personal circumstances, you mention dd but not a partner, that can change things.

I don't think you could do it part time either. It's normally full time and during placement you will be working shifts.

boomting Fri 07-Dec-12 22:25:16

Access courses are normally only for those without recent experience of studying. As you are just finishing your degree now, then an Access course wouldn't be relevant to you, unless the university required science A-Levels (I know nursing courses don't always require sciences, so I presume the same is the case for midwifery).

The part time thing could be a problem though - you will spend lots of time on placement, and UCAS course search doesn't list any universities in Greater London that do PT midwifery courses. However, as an NHS student you would receive full student funding, including having your childcare costs covered.

No idea about the work experience, but I'd suggest having a look at as it often has some useful info on it.

LDNmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 14:23:54

I am wrapping up an English degree after taking time out to be with DD. I always thought about going to into midwifery but it just seemed so unrealistic before having my own DD. Seeing what it can mean to have a good midwife throughout my experience of having my first child has spurred me on to become a midwife myself, finally.

I don't know how to go about this if I already have a degree. I may also only be able to study part time and I don't know what type of course could offer me this option.

I was thinking about doing an Access to Nursing course and have also read that I need experience before they would take me on. Would this have to be experience specifically related to midwifery or could it be any part of the health care sector?

Any advice?


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now