Advanced search

is this enough qualification to get into university?

(8 Posts)
Ladyemem Wed 28-Nov-12 20:01:46

Daughters doing A levels Art and Btec Business national diploma (eqivalent to 2 A levels)

College told her she would be able to get into half of university courses but when i look on university sites it says you need 3 a levels? What courses will she be able to get onto? Shes not sure what she wants to do with her career.

Advice please

NatashaBee Wed 28-Nov-12 20:12:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sashh Wed 28-Nov-12 23:38:35

BTEC National is usually equivelant to 3A levels. If you are looking at UCAS don't look at the A Levels, have a look at the 'other' qualifications.

TheFarSide Thu 29-Nov-12 00:00:30

It's enough to get into some courses at some universities.

A Levels and BTEC National Diplomas are both level 3 qualifications, although some universities prefer A Levels.

TheCollieDog Thu 29-Nov-12 14:37:40

She'll need to find out what individual degree courses require of her BTEC. At one place I worked (1994 group, but very research intensive) we accepted the relevant BTEC, but required distinctions in all parts of it. WE would never relax that requirement.

I tend to think that BTECS are a bit of a swizz, because they do not prepare students for intensive academic work. I have found that BTEC students are generally amongst the weaker students in terms of research and writing: specifically around being able to conceptualise and structure an analytical argument in an essay.

And the idea that a BTEC is "equivalent" to 2 A Levels can be misleading for the applicant as well. They often struggle and find the emphasis on academic skills and abilities quite difficult.

But ... this may not be the case at less research-intensive places.

As in most things to do with universities, there are very few generic 'rules.' It will depend on what degree course your DD wants to do, and in which institution.

boomting Thu 29-Nov-12 21:56:53

Universities will typically state on their website what courses other than A Levels (e.g. IB, BTEC, AP) they accept. If it doesn't state anything, then I would suggest that your daughter sends a quick email to the admissions tutor.

However, your daughter may find that she is limited to lower ranked universities, especially if she wants to do a more competitive course. That said, I do know of one person who is doing criminology at an RG university following a BTEC.

LapsedPacifist Fri 30-Nov-12 19:41:22

She should look into taking a (2 year) Foundation degree, the entrance requirements are considerably lower than for 3 year honours degree courses, but you still get full funding for the course. She could then progress onto the 3rd year of an honours degree course provided she gets a good grade for the Foundation course. This is what I am currently doing and all the Foundation students from my course were accepted onto the honours degree! Most of the students only got grades C-E at A level.

mumeeee Sun 02-Dec-12 23:54:07

DD3 has just applied for uni. She is doing BTECH extended Diploma in IT which is equivelant to 3 A levels.She looked into a lot of unis and found that most of them accepted BTECH qualifications,you just have to look at equivelant qualifications on the universities websiotes, It also mentionod BTECHs on tha actual UCAS application form.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: