Advanced search

Access to Higher Education Diploma

(12 Posts)
hoops997 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:44:10

Hello all,

I'm looking to re-train as a Primary School teacher and wondered if anyone had done the above course instead of 'A' Levels, I'm thinking of doing this course as a distance learning course.


Flojo1979 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:53:22

I did a btec national diploma, instead of A levels. No problems. University seemed to think it was as good as A level. Finished uni now.

VolumeOfACone Mon 22-Oct-12 18:04:24

I spoke to some admissions tutors from universities about this recently and they seemed to all say that it was an acceptable alternative to a levels. But it depends on the modules you take, and marks obviously.

eatyourveg Mon 22-Oct-12 18:07:14

I support students on the access to HE course at our college their ages range from 20-50 ish and none of them have A levels and all of them are currently doing their ucas applications. Haven't heard of any institution that doesn't recognise the qualification.

I assume you would be taking the humanities pathway. Go for it, it'll be great fun. All the students are really supportive of each other.

hoops997 Mon 22-Oct-12 19:10:48

Brilliant, lots of positive experiences, I was going to go down the science route, would humanities be better?

eatyourveg Mon 22-Oct-12 19:50:30

I only said humanities as I thought you might choose english, psychology and maybe sociology for your options. Dunno why I thought that - All the pathways are equally reputable.

Have a look at the ucas course search and see what the universities you are interested in are asking for in terms of credits. Unless you are going down the BSc followed by PGCE route I don't think the offer would specify a particular pathway

hoops997 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:48:40

I'm looking to do a primary teaching degree with QTS attached, is this the standard way?

sunshine401 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:56:50

Great course
A point to know is that you do need at least a C in GCSE maths , english and science.

Some of these pathways offer a level 2 in maths and science however these are now not taken into account you must have GCSEs . smile

hoops997 Mon 22-Oct-12 22:15:38

Yes, have the right grades in GCSE, Maths,English and Double Science smile

eatyourveg Tue 23-Oct-12 07:50:30

Go for it!

kellestar Tue 23-Oct-12 08:15:40

You can do the GCSE equivalence as part of your Access to HE diploma. But it must be the actual equivalent, rather than being a level 2 equivalent. Ask the college if they offer it.

I used to do admissions for teaching degrees, about 10% of Access students failed entry requirements because the college put them on the wrong GCSE equivalence course.

Be specific and say you need it to go
Into teacher training.

kellestar Tue 23-Oct-12 08:18:25

Your final certificate from the exam board will say GCSE Equivalence in...

Also be wary of some exam boards that offer Distance Learning Access to HE as we also saw many that aren't accredited.

I can't do links but there is a good website to check this. Accredited Qualifictaions . Org will last all UK accredited qualifications and the accredited exam boards for them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: