Advanced search

Quit first degree...ready to do another...can I?

(3 Posts)

Hi, I'm not sure if anybody will be able to offer me any advice. Here's my situation...
I studied biomedical science for 2 years. I quit because it wasn't what I wanted to do. I wasn't ready to study and it as much as I was doing well, the course and the prospects weren't for me. I decided to quit while I was ahead and soon found work. I was working up until June when I went on Maternity leave. I now have a beautiful DS.

My problem now is that I don't want to go back to my former job (which I loved). I feel like I will be stuck there and not achieve anything (no prospects). I now feel settled, happy and ready to continue this next chapter of my life by returning to university and doing a social work course. As I have already been to uni, I'm not sure whether I will receive funding for another course, having quit the first.

Can anybody offer any advice? I can't seem to find any information elsewhere...

creamteas Fri 19-Oct-12 21:25:00

Usually you can get students funding for the length of your degree plus one year, so the maximum you could probably get is 2 years.

Do you have a particular uni that you are thing of applying to? You can always contact the student support office and get them to check for you,

boomting Fri 19-Oct-12 22:10:48

Unfortunately, under normal circumstances, because you have already studied for two years, you would have to self-fund the first year of any new degree.

However, social work (along with nursing and a couple of similar courses) has some special rules surrounding it, which are more favourable for people like yourself. I'd suggest contacting the social work department of the uni(s) you're interested in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: