Advanced search

Benefits and FE

(4 Posts)
Sarannie Fri 05-Oct-12 15:53:41

Hi, can anyone help with this please. My son is 18 and has been attending college since 16. He has a history of severe anxiety and depression and it seems to be rearing it's ugly head again only a few weeks into his new term on a level 3 diploma course. The college are not being too helpful about it and are trying to get him to go for an apprenticeship instead as they feel the academic work is too much. He's had 7 days off out of a possible 15 since term started on Sept 3rd and they're saying he's missed a lot of work.
Anyway, obviously I'm extremely concerned about him but, also, I am sole carer for my chronically ill husband and I home ed my daughter. We're on benefits - the whole raft - and simply cannot afford to lose the child benefit and tax credits we get for our son while he's in full time education. If he can't go back to college (looking more unlikely by the minute) and can't get an apprenticeship (or isn't well enough to start one yet) do we have any other options other than for him to sign on and for us to lose those benefits?
If he can find an apprenticeship will we still get the benefits as I realise he'll be earning a small amount?
Any experts out there?
Thanks for reading.

sashh Fri 05-Oct-12 23:52:14

If he is too ill to be in education then he should be able to claim benefits in his own right.

Sorry, this was true when it was IB, but not sure with ESA, but it is worth checking. There is a helpline for disabled people on benefits.

Or......... you are HE your daughter, why not your son?

Jamillalliamilli Sat 06-Oct-12 08:46:13

Sorry things aren't working out for him in college, but is it the education that's 'too much for him', or the trying to get an education whilst coping with the environment?

If you need to home ed your son at Level 3 education ie; A level or under, (and there’s no reason other than health why he can’t also go onto any courses he can get, too) he remains in full time education and is treated as a dependent child for WTC / CTC, CB, HB and CT.

I’m afraid I don’t have the answers to the apprenticeship question.

My SEN 18 yr old is fully statemented 1 to 1, and needs much of his education differentiated way beyond what schools and colleges accept as their remit, in order for him to reach his potential.

He’s doing A levels alongside life skills from home. You’re welcome to pm me if you need to ask details, or ask more on the H/E boards.

Sarannie Sat 06-Oct-12 17:23:37

Thank you all so much, that is really helpful. I hadn't thought about HE!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: