Talk

Advanced search

Leicester/Swansea/Cardiff Uni for MFL.

(11 Posts)
ProudNeathGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 19:01:16

Does anyone have experience of MFL, particularly French, at any if these unis?
DD is finding it difficult to choose between them.
What are the pros/cons of each - what is the USP on each one?

We have yet to visit Reading, Portsmouth and Southampton so dilemma could get worse - help!

harbingerofdoom Sat 22-Sep-12 20:42:36

Do look at the prospectus for each place. Then all the very good league tables that are available online.
The newspapers usually do a full uni guide each year.
However,you do need to visit to get the 'feel' of the place. I think it is worth doing.
My DD1 is doing MFL at Southampton. Well thought of department. Russell Group university.

ps I would narrow it down before trekking to all six on your list

ProudNeathGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 21:54:31

We've already visited Swansea, Cardiff and Leicester!!
DD (and me and DH) love all three, so looking for some inside info.
Most kids round here seem to visit 5 or 6 unis that they like the look of.
We sent for about 15 prospectuses (prospecti?)!

greyvix Sat 22-Sep-12 22:09:42

Cardiff is a great city, with reasonable accommodation and good night life. I am biased though, as I was brought up nearby.

harbingerofdoom Sat 22-Sep-12 22:20:54

Your nn implies Wales? Would she like to be close to home?

DD3s best friend is at Reading. Positive
Portsmouth. oh dear
Southampton. Ace

harbingerofdoom Sat 22-Sep-12 22:27:09

Missed that you had seen Leicester.
I actually think that it's a great university. The halls and town are pretty safe (it's not Notts!).
Leicester has great links-both transport and academic.

Jynxed Sat 22-Sep-12 23:06:40

I went to Swansea (although not MFL) and absolutely loved it. Campus uni, small and friendly, fun city, beautiful countryside - still miss it now.

ProudNeathGirl Sat 22-Sep-12 23:06:53

Leicester open day was today. She loved it, but we thought the accommodation was a bit grotty tbh. Most of it in need of a refurb.
Cardiff more traditional, but yeah, great city.
I'm from Neath, but live in England now. Have brought DDs up to feel at least half Welsh, so I think there might be a "back to my roots" thing going on.
It's so hard to help her choose! But I think they can list 5 at first.

creamteas Sun 23-Sep-12 09:48:38

My DN considered Leicester, Cardiff and Aston for French, but went to Leeds instead.

The emphasis on language rather than literature was what swayed the decision. Aston was good for this as well, but she wanted to be closer to home

fussychica Sun 23-Sep-12 10:18:27

My DS had offers from Birmingham, Notts & Leicester for MFL but picked Aberystwyth as he just fell in love with it & felt totally at home there. It also offered the opportunity to study three languages which isn't offered at that many places.
I would have probably picked Birmingham if it had been down to me but it wasn't!

Milliways Thu 27-Sep-12 19:56:59

My DD has friends who did MFL at Southampton and loved it. It was DD's insurance choice and they offerred her EE so she was tempted to make it her firm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now