Talk

Advanced search

Manchester v Exeter uni

(18 Posts)
jubileemum Wed 05-Sep-12 00:03:19

Could anybody help me out? My dd has a place to study English literature at Manchester University, but, long story, is considering changing to Exeter, but would mean taking a gap year and reapplying. Just wanted to know thoughts on the 2 unis and how they are percieved by employers in particular. Is Manchester considered as good as Exeter?

tw12 Wed 05-Sep-12 00:04:48

Yes I would say they are considered equally as good. Why does she want to change to Exeter btw?

jubileemum Wed 05-Sep-12 00:25:57

When she first applied her first choice was Exeter which she loved, but she was rejected. However, it turned out that the reason she has not been offered a place was because she took pre u examinations rather than A levels and the powers that be 'forgot' to put the qualification on the list of acceptable qualifications and therfore they would not offer her a place. This has now been sorted and this will not be a problem next year. DD is very happy with Manchester, but we want to be sure that she will not find herself at a disadvantage when applying for jobs.

EllenParsons Wed 05-Sep-12 00:30:36

Manchester and Exeter are both good unis. Neither one will disadvantage her when applying for jobs. If anything, I would think Manchester might be a bit better as it is a larger university so probably attracts more employers to careers fairs and networking events.

tw12 Wed 05-Sep-12 00:30:45

I would say Exeter and Manchester are in the same league and there's no point changing if it's just because she worries she will be disadvantaged when it comes to jobs. She should only change if she really wants to live in Ex rather than Manchester or if she much prefers the course in Exeter

jubileemum Wed 05-Sep-12 00:40:47

Thank you both for your thoughts... I am coming around to the idea that there is no disadvantage in going to Manchester and I know that it is the top uni for employment which can only be a good thing! Would still be grateful for anymore opinions.

Sharpkat Wed 05-Sep-12 02:54:58

Any idea what she would like to do post Uni?

Am a graduate recruiter so know a fair bit about Unis. Manchester tends to attract more employers physically on campus as it is easier to get to.

Would say both are very goo Unis but have a different feel so depends on what your DD is looking for.

Also, what would DD do for year out?

Happy to answer any questions and hopefully I will be more coherent after some sleep smile

jubileemum Wed 05-Sep-12 11:32:26

Sharpkat, thank you for your reply. I have a few concerns with Manchester uni's English department which seems to come quite low down in the league tables which I know isn't everything, but dd has very good Alevel/pre u results (AAAB)and Manchester just asked for AAB and I do not want her to find that when she applies for a job her application will be sifted and not make the cut because she did English at Manchester rather than Exeter which is much higher in the league tables. It seems so important now to get the right degree from the right university. As a graduate recruiter I would appreciate your view on different unis and the courses taken and how you decide who to interview. DD has no real idea about what she would like to do, but I am thinking that if she wants to do something like Law would she be at disadvantage having gone to Manchester. If she does take a gap year she will make sure that it is beneficial to her...work experience/charity work etc.

creamteas Wed 05-Sep-12 23:52:24

Jublilee If she does want to change she might not need a gap year. There is still quite a lot of movement between universities so Exeter might still be willing to accept her this year if she can get released from Manchester.

BurlingtonBertieFromBow Fri 07-Sep-12 21:43:58

I know solicitors/barristers who went to Manchester - it's fine

Sharpkat Sun 09-Sep-12 12:10:47

Sorry not to come back sooner. Exeter is higher up the league tables for English but I take that with a pinch of salt as it relates to the research side of things.

Both are very good universities. I have hired people from both into the City. I don't think your DD's employment prospects will be any different at either.

Does she want a Gap year or is it a last minute gut reaction to going to Uni?

I would go with my heart on this one.

Pliudev Thu 20-Sep-12 14:24:22

As a recent graduate of Exeter's English department I can highly recommend it. League tables based on research do mean a lot actually, they indicate the level of academic activity going on in the department and show that staff and graduate students are committed to furthering their particular areas of study. My two sons studied in Manchester and I would say these are two very different cities and your daughter's decision should be based on which environment would suit her best.

greyvix Sat 22-Sep-12 21:55:28

I have 2 DDs who studied English literature at Exeter and can highly recommend it. The research aspect is important, and there is a is range of modules to choose from.
As stated above, Manchester is a city university and will be very different from Exeter, which is campus. I don't know anything about English at Manchester, but the uni has a good reputation generally.

MummysHappyPills Sat 22-Sep-12 22:00:03

Exeter has recently joined the russel group so they are as good as one another really. I have been a student at both! They are both lovely cities. Manchester would be my choice if I was 18 again. Manchester has a massive student community and is really geared up for it. Think you get more diversity in the students in Manchester too. But Devon is beautiful, so if your dd enjoys outdoorsy stuff etc then Exeter might have more to offer her?

MummysHappyPills Sat 22-Sep-12 22:02:57

And fwiw I transferred from Manchester to Exeter, but I am studying Medicine, so quite separate from the rest of the uni...

jubileemum Mon 24-Sep-12 22:06:22

Thankyou everyone for your comments and thoughts. DD was very keen to go to Manchester and started last week. She is having a great time so far....a very lively place which is great for her. Her course starts this week so I hope she feels the same way this time next week! I will put any worries I may have had to one side now and hope she has a great experience leading to a good degree and hopefully a career that she will love. Do mothers ever stop planning and worrying about theor children or is it just me???

greyvix Tue 25-Sep-12 22:28:35

I'm sure she will do brilliantly, and it's great she has started so positively.
No, we never stop worrying, and the stakes seem to get larger the older they get. I loved the baby and toddler bit, where they listened to you and you always knew where they were!

Bellaciao Wed 26-Sep-12 23:26:43

Just to add my daughter did English ( and Drama) - 4 year double honours - they don't do it any more - at Manchester and absolutely loved it - the environment. Only moved away last year at age 26. Personally at the level of the Russell Group I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to employers exactly which one you go to. I agree with Pliudev - if she likes the idea of a northern vibrant environment then it is much more lively student environment and the city is great! I am biased as we live in SW and I do find Exeter a bit pedestrian compared to Manchester..... but I have no experience of the courses there.
If she is enjoying it jubileemum, then that's half the battle and is likely to work hard and make the most of it. The only thing my daughter didn't like at Manchester was having to study Anglo Saxon - but it was the only module that fitted in with her other options, and only a short course really. May have changed now anyway....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now