Talk

Advanced search

Helicoptering [blush]

(4 Posts)
LittleBlueBudgie Mon 17-Oct-11 10:33:31

I did my degree a while ago and in a very different subject to DD so I could do with some advice.
She is in the second year of a Humanities degree with lots of written assignments and essays. The first year does not count towards the Class of degree and all they have to do is pass the first year to be allowed back in. In the second year they do a mix of modules betweeen Level 2 and Level 3. They do the same in the third year.
Most of DD's modules will be examined in the summer but there is an oddity. This module will be taught in double quick time in one semester and examined after Christmas. This is at Level 3. She will be going from unimportant Level 1 exams to a meaningful Level 3 exam in the blink of an eye.
I didn't do essays at University so I don't know how to help her, if she asks. I don't know what the examiners are looking for. I am used to GCSE and A Level grade descriptors and am wondering if there is a similar thing for different University years. Are they expecting a step-up from a Level 1 answer to a Level 3 answer or is it all about course content.

SarkySpanner Mon 17-Oct-11 10:40:27

Tell her to speak to her course tutor.

mumeeee Mon 17-Oct-11 12:17:15

DD2 found that university essays were a step up from A level essays but it was also about course content. I would as the previous poster had suggested advise your DD to speak to her tutor. DD2 is now in her 3rd year and is having some problems with pressure of work and she is seeing her tutor today.

funnyperson Mon 17-Oct-11 20:29:44

I was passing Waterstone's today, and noticed various books in the window with titles such as 'How to write a good essay at university'

I think tutors can and should help, thats their job. Ph D students can give good advice, as can third years. I think knowing how to do the bibliography correctly in a word document helps and the academic support unit/library can help with that.

Hasn't a good essay always got to be about writing an introduction, developing the argument, with evidence, and then a conclusion, making sure that the whole thing answers the question and sticks to the topic.? Within that there seem to be clear expectations of what constitutes an outstanding history essay and what constitutes an outstanding science or economics essay and they are very different so I daren't help.

I don't help mine write uni essays, but as a mum I do find they need help with making sure they spend enough of their budget on core texts, have been to the uni library induction, and know how to access periodicals online, have good reliable internet access, good reliable printers, and a wall calendar with essay deadlines which they stick to, and an academic diary.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now