Talk

Advanced search

Eek can any one help with my personal statement for a nursing degree???

(10 Posts)
NotInTheMood Sun 09-Oct-11 21:51:16

I really have no idea where to start confused

ellisbell Mon 10-Oct-11 11:51:32

same as any other degree - why you want to study for it and what you have done that demonstrates you'd be a good choice. Look at their requirements for entrants and write about anything you have done that is relevant. You need to say more about yourself before you can get much help.

sanam2010 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:10:02

i think if you can't think of anything useful to write in your personal statement, it may not be the right degree for you. if you have to ask other people on a forum what to write about why you want to do this, you are clearly not very passionate and determined about it. why don't you look for a degree you are so excited about that you know why you want to do it and where it will lead? don't waste your time on something you can't even be bothered to write your own personal statement about!!

jalopy Mon 10-Oct-11 17:35:26

She has no idea how to start, Sanam.

Was your degree in pomposity? You must have got a first.

sanam2010 Mon 10-Oct-11 18:17:01

jalopy, i am serious. it's like asking people to tell you why you want a job. if you don't know, you don't want it. i am being helpful as i want to save her from studying something she is not passionate about.

pipsy76 Mon 10-Oct-11 18:40:54

why I want to be a nurse....................
relevant experience I have......................
personal attributes and skills which would make me a good nurse..........
what I would like to learn.......................................
what I could offer to nursing........................................

these are some themes to think about.

There are some decent guidelines on the UCAS web site..have a look.
Are you a mature student or in 6th form? If in 6th form your tutor will read the draft and send you away with it many times..

If not..as Pipsy suggests.. write down a few headings and jot down EVERYTHING that occurs to you ..do that before you think of starting.

You have 4000 characters inc spaces.. 47 lines in total. So you need to be succinct but at the same time convey a real enthusiasm. I would suggest opening with a WHY.. there must be something that sparked off your first interest.. an event in your life, an experience, something like that.

How your A levels are relevant if they are/you are doing them (only brief but shows a link)

Then your relevant experience.. not what you did as much as what your learned from it ('I worked in X as a volunteer and learned how to adapt my communications skills... bla bla)

Anything else that makes you fab.. hobbies etc..but don't make them up if they don't exist! Work experience otherwise.. you can develop a lot of people skills in the most mundane jobs!

What you expect to gain from uni.. and a last line summing up what qualities you have that will make you the person they want.

Sanam... if you can't be helpful, why post?! Personal Statements are not easy and if you have never done one before , hard to get started. Not knowing how to start a PS is NOT the same as not really wanting the job. So you aren't being helpful in any way shape or form.

I have proof read rather a lot over the last few years and most students need a fair few attempts to get their heads round them.. and the hardest bit is starting.

Good luck OP, and if you need help proof reading PM mesmile

NotInTheMood Wed 12-Oct-11 21:45:40

Thanks guys for the for the helpful tips and guide lines. I knew what I wanted to say etc but not how to put it down on paper and how to structure it. There's no doubt that I am passionate about nursing and why I want to do it. Its a long time since i've had to write these sorts of things after being a sahm for 6 years so im slightly out of touch with my academic side!

TooManyBlossoms Wed 12-Oct-11 21:55:25

Just wanted to say good luck NotInTheMood - 3 years ago I was doing the same - I'm now sat here trying to write my personal statement for my first job applications as a staff nurse - eek!

ellisbell Fri 14-Oct-11 13:40:13

take a look at what they say they require in a student and then relate what you have done to that. SAHMs often underestimate their skills. You're organising a household and if you have more than one child that can be a military operation. If you've been involved with any PTA, for example, you'll have been involved in teamwork. Time to get back in touch with academics, though - see if there are any reading lists on their websites and if so get hold of at least one book you can mention in your personal statement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now