Talk

Advanced search

may be sending this letter to my math teacher who lost a years work do you think i should?

(16 Posts)
NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 20:18:06

Dear maths teacher

I hope you are well, a few students at College were upset that you're not here teaching this year,

I am writing to explain to you the implications of my OCN math's work from last year being lost.

Towards the end of the summer term, I, like the other students in the class, handed you a pile of work of which I had completed through out the course of the year for my OCN maths, I left this on your table in the math class room and asked you when I would receive it back, you told me that 'as I was part time I would get it back in September marked and anything outstanding I could complete this year'.

All the work in this pile was the tests which you had marked, including the end of summer term test which I took and also passed, all the marks were there with "well done" written at the top, as I had passed all of them, the only thing you had not marked was the assignment about data collection methods which took me a lot of time, you told me that you would look at it and give it back to me if there were any gaps, again mentioning that as I'm a part time student, I could complete any thing outstanding next term (September)

I left this work on your table in trust that if not marked it would at least be kept safe.

You had asked me to keep hold of all my marked tests then hand them to you at the end of the year- I did this and now they've been lost.

I then arrive back to college this term to find that my Math's work for a whole year which I left on a pile on the table in your class desk had been lost and now I have discovered that you have emailed my tutor to tell him that I didn't pass, this is not true and you must be able to understand that I want to see evidence of this by having my work back and being allowed to rectify any potential gaps in this assignment.

the math's teacher, who I spoke to today with my tutor present said that: "your previous maths teacher must have known that you were working at a level that wasn't worthy of a pass" you have to understand how frustrating this is for me, while I thought my maths was behind me and I could concentrate on my other subjects and UCAS this year.

The reason I chose to take the course on, on a part time basis was because I work long hours outside of college to support myself, by telling my tutor I didn't pass, it has now been suggested to me that I retake the OCN tests this year, which I would be happy to do if I physically had the time to do it and if my work, which you had marked last year all at passes, would be returned to me.

If my math's isn't acknowledged, I will not be accepted into University next year as planned, deeming this whole two years worth of study worthless with regards to my security and goals.

It has been proposed to me by the new math teacher that I sit the tests again but they're on different topics this year and without the allocated time or resources to study for them, I may not meet the grades which I had already achieved last year.

I did try to find you before the end of term but you were on strike.

I am so upset by this and have been having sleepless nights, please understand my position and anything you can do to help me please do, even admitting that you have lost the work will help me with what seems like a very stressful battle,

I think the way it has been passed on to me has been said harshly, as I know you are a good guy and a great teacher who wouldn't wish this situation on me, but please before just saying that I didn't pass, re-consider what you're saying as it's become very disruptive to this already very stressful year ahead for me.

In a nut shell: all I want is my work back, so that if there are gaps I know where they are and instead of repeating a whole year, I can as proposed by your self, take the opportunity from the fact that I'm a part time student to finish any remaining bits off this year. All that I'm objecting to is not having my work given back since when did a student just get vicariously told they have failed through an email without any documentation to support that?

If it this not remedied in some way, I will have no choice but to send these facts to the principal of the college and take this matter from there.

regards,

nottheblinkinggruffaloagain

RattusRattus Thu 29-Sep-11 20:24:58

I see your point, but it is too rambly and too long. You need to make it far more succinct and no longer than 1 page of A4 paper.

It must be hugely frustrating. Your teacher sounds totally unprofessional.

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 20:38:26

Thank's I really appreciate your feed back.

RattusRattus Thu 29-Sep-11 20:44:33

I've taken the liberty of re-writing it for you. you are obviously very angry - and justifiably so - but I've tried to make it less emotional, with minimal repetition and setting a date for an expected response.

I'd cc it to his boss. Write on the bottom of the letter that you're doing so, but don't threaten him with it - just do it. He's acted totally irresponsibly and you deserve an explanation.

Here you go:

Dear Maths Teacher

I am writing to raise my concern at the fact that it would appear that you have lost my OCN math’s homework from last year.

Towards the end of the summer term, I, like the other students in the class, handed you a pile of work of which I had completed throughout the course of the year for my OCN maths. I left this on your table in the math class room and we discussed when you would return it and we agreed it would be in September.

All the work in this pile was the tests which you had marked, including the end of summer term test which I took and also passed, all the marks were there with "well done" written at the top, as I had passed all of them, the only thing you had not marked was the assignment about data collection methods. I left this work on your table, in a blue folder (or whatever folder you gave it to him in) that was clearly marked with my name in trust that if not marked it would at least be kept safe.

You may remember that you specifically asked me to keep hold of all my marked tests then hand them to you at the end of the year. I did this and now they've been lost.

As I had passed these tests and been given positive feedback for my work I am at a loss to discover that you have emailed my tutor to tell him that I didn't pass. This is not the case and I want to see evidence of this by having my work back and being allowed to rectify any potential gaps in this assignment.

The ramifications of the loss of my work are serious. As my tutor now believes I have failed the module I am required to re-sit the OCN tests. This will delay my UCAS application and I will not be accepted to attend University next year. As I have dedicated 2 years to completing this course I am extremely concerned that I will be not only required to re-sit tests I have already passed but also face waiting another year to start my degree. Surely you can see that this is simply unacceptable.

I look forward to hearing from you by xx/xx/2011 detailing what can be done to resolve this situation if you are unable to locate the work that you have lost, and explaining why you have led my tutor to believe I have failed the module.

Yours etc….

RattusRattus Thu 29-Sep-11 20:45:22

Don't know what all those numbers are about - think it must be something to do with the fact I copied and pasted from Word.

RattusRattus Thu 29-Sep-11 20:47:42

Has the teacher actually admitted to you that he's lost the work?

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 20:48:08

Rattus thank you so much for your generosity if I get into uni I will be sending you some flowers! Thank you so much it's hard to write well when so emotional!

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 21:21:11

Well the work is no where to be found but he has told my tutor that I didn't pass so its irrelevant but its my word against his which is why I want the work given back to me...grumble grumble, your letter is brilliant thanks again so much

RattusRattus Thu 29-Sep-11 22:04:39

I hope it's found soon. Let us know how you get on.

yellowsubmarine41 Thu 29-Sep-11 22:11:25

Surely the teacher will have kept an on-going record of student's marks or pass/fail in some sort of central tracking sheet?

I deliver some courses for OCN, and this is the only way of keeping on top of where students are.

In your position, I would cc in or contact this person's head of dept/manager at this point, as both the whereabouts of your work and status regarding passing or failing need to be clarified asap.

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Fri 30-Sep-11 08:06:16

Thanks YS41, that's what I want to see too.

Why he hadn't kept records of the test results is beyond me, the OCN math was made up of a series of work sheets/ tests relating to algebra, shape space measure etc then one big assignment which the ongoing tests were components of the criteria for this, he hadn't marked this as I was told to give it to him at the end of the year.

It's a difficult situation and I'm glad I've been able to get some perspective on this on here because I don't want to come across as angry, the sad thing is, the teacher was a top bloke really kind, helpful and relaxed so I do feel a bit bad highlighting his mistake to his colleagues.

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Fri 30-Sep-11 08:30:48

Well Ive sent it thanks again smile

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 14:57:34

Rattus wow this is an amazing result- my math teacher, after sending your my excellent letter has totally back tracked and has 'found' my work all at passes bar one piece which I have a whole year to complete!
Thanks so much I feel so much like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders are you a lawyer in RL! Thanks sooo much

RattusRattus Mon 03-Oct-11 17:51:31

That's great news! Well done. grin

Am not a lawyer! However I'm married to one and I work in education!

gingeroots Tue 04-Oct-11 09:04:00

Oh so pleased for you nottheblinking !
Well done for posting on here and fantastic help from Rattus .

( nottheblinking love your name ,having worked in preschool were that's endlessly what we did for a "Nativity " play )

gettingalifenow Tue 04-Oct-11 09:11:21

Wow - fantastic story! Rattus you have superstar status form now on.... glad it worked out for you nottheblinking...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now