Talk

Advanced search

Uni 2011 oversubscribed/accommodation nightmare!?

(8 Posts)
RoseWei Thu 22-Sep-11 21:32:55

Long shot - anyone with a DD/DS going to Aberystwyth this year? DS2 is going and due to massive influx of first years, the Uni is putting bunk beds/two beds in many rooms in hall. DS is going to be in one of them. Situation may change - or it may not.

Understand that the Uni has perhaps exceeded its own limits - accepting an unusually high number of first years who want to beat the fees hike. Uni population significantly higher than the town population.

That said, seems a good place to spend three years. Safe, healthy, just a long way from home (SE England).

Any plans to visit offspring during the term, at any Uni? DS is OK about that - now that leaving home is looming?

dreamingofsun Fri 23-Sep-11 08:31:35

yes we are visiting at half term - though not sure our son's that keen at the moment - but decided to get them used to us visiting periodically.

we had trouble getting our son a place in a hall as he went through clearing - though the lovely people in accommodation office have now sorted him. different uni. they said that a lot of people drop out of halls in the first few weeks so they always have spaces. they were pretty sure they could find him a place in first few weeks - so hopefully same where your son is. Have you spoken with the accommodation office? I left it up to my son but eventually stepped in and glad i did.

good luck. yes it aberystwyth does look nice on paper. you obviously liked it when you visited - i've been looking at it for one of my other children.

homeaway Fri 23-Sep-11 09:25:11

Hi my oh is just dropping ds off there as we speak. He is in first year and the accomodation is a nightmare . The problem with the bunk rooms is that there only seems to be one desk, one cupboard and no wifi at the moment? I have been on the student union website and they are trying to get uni to put wifi in the halls were they have bunk rooms. The problem next year will be worse as unless they have more private landlords there will not be enough accomodation for all the first year students moving out of campus. Last year there was the same problem and at the beginning of the year they had some students who were unhoused ( I found and article on the BBC website).The town is lovely and people are very friendly there. The student satisfaction rate is good. The bus pass price has increased from around forty pounds to over one hundred and sixty ( I think ) the union are still trying to find a solution. It is a long way from us as well, we go past you in the SE to get there !! I dont think he will come home before xmas !

DamselInDisarray Fri 23-Sep-11 09:43:48

Several of my friends went to Aber and absolutely loved it. Honestly, they're utterly evangelical about the place/university. I'm sure your DS will have a great time. The housing thing sounds like a nightmare though. I hope he's getting a discount on his halls costs.

eatyourveg Fri 23-Sep-11 15:44:02

DS1 is aplying to Aber. I have been following the accommodation saga on the freshers parents facebook page and the Aber accommodation page. It has really made me think he should reconsider. They say it is temporary but the new hall that has opened is for post grads as will be the one opening in a couple of years next to the new medical centre. I'm hoping that they will limit their numbers this year (although that may mean it is harder to get in) as ds1 does not fancy bunking especially when some of the rooms only have one desk and one cupboard. Someone has asked the VC if they could bring their own caravan and park it in the grounds!!

The rent is slightly over half price but they are giving bunkers £15pw credit on the Aber card. Your ds should check it out.

BestisWest Fri 23-Sep-11 16:21:56

DD is off there tomorrow too but has been extremely lucky to get a single room. As eatyourveg said there's a facebook page for this years Freshers parents (Aber Freshers Parents) which has had a lot of useful info. There seems to be a general consensus that this years intake is higher because of the fees going up next year and pass rates being higher as well. Going to be fun finding private accommodation for next year. Perhaps they should start looking now! Agree with the OP it feels, a lovely safe place.

Aber is a GREAT uni and great place to spend 3 years of your lifesmile

Best years of my life... the bits I can remember that is grin

jessabell Tue 27-Sep-11 11:50:31

Hi my daughter at aber in PJM bunk room theres 9 sharing seem quiet happy at moment early days. Just concerned for 2nd and 3rd years. Wished I know about housing problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now