Talk

Advanced search

Ok mumsnetters hold my hand!

(9 Posts)
Theas18 Sun 18-Sep-11 21:27:24

I'm quite a brave parent really, honest I am!

DD1 is off to Nottingham uni on Sunday.

We are almost 100% ready re "stuff" etc but I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for her to go.....

My head knows she's a sensible girl who has (she says modestly!) been pretty well brought up. She has been out partying with mates etc and getting "used" to nightlife etc (only 18 at end of July) so she's "practiced that " too. She is academically focused and has demonstrated that she can balance fun and study too. But she also seems so young and there are so many "things that could go wrong"....

So she is really as ready as she could be and my head knows that but my heart just wants to keep my baby girl here, with the mates that she has had since age 11, and that I trust 100%.

Need a bit of a virtual handhold I think...

ucasfracas Mon 19-Sep-11 11:11:40

She sounds great, I'm sure she'll be fine - good luck to you both.

Things can go wrong anywhere, but yes you do worry!

catherinemedici Mon 19-Sep-11 11:15:26

She will be fine and you will get used to it, and then she will be back and you will realise that it is good for young people to leave home for a while as their way of living becomes very irritating, however much you love them.

mumeeee Mon 19-Sep-11 11:35:10

She'll be fine and so will you. Yes you will
miss her but you'll get used to it. We worried about DD2 when she started as she was less confident then get older sister and also a bit hopeless with money. But she made loads of friends and managed to budget and not blow all her money on stupid stuff. She has now started back into her 3rd year and is sharing the same house that she hd n the second year with most of the same friends. In fact they stayed in it over the summer as they had jobs up there.

CherryLip Mon 19-Sep-11 21:53:39

I' m here...got to do the same with DD this this weekend then fly back overseas!

Can't quite believe we are at this stage!

DS just gone into year 12!

javo Tue 20-Sep-11 08:16:13

Another one here too - DD1 off on Saturday. I thought I was fine with it but am starting to feel jittery.

ParceQueJeLeVauxBien Tue 20-Sep-11 08:19:08

... and another one here. DS1 goes to Sussex on Saturday. I'm dreading it. Not made any easier by DH this morning saying "I remember that little face waving at me out of the window when I went to work as if it was yesterday".

Cue me welling up straight away!

unitarian Tue 20-Sep-11 09:55:26

I'm a year further on. DD starts year 2 later this month.

I worried that she was too young - turned 18 two months before she went away to London from a small hamlet in the back of beyond.

There was a moment after we got her stuff into her room when she started to well up and asked to have a few mins on her own. We went off and got a coffee across the road. Half an hour later we phoned to say we were on our way back and needed her to open the main door from inside - by then she had ventured into the the common room, surrounded by fellow newbies and met us with a big grin. We left her to it and got back to the car before we shed tears.

She's had a brilliant year, made lots of good friends, eaten well and sensibly, and just about managed on her funds. We have missed her terribly but get out more!

Theas18 Tue 20-Sep-11 11:48:07

Thanks all!

I can see there will be lots of nervy mums netters on the roads at the weekend with cars filled to the roof!

I guess we've done our best to grow a good adult and we have to let her gt on with it!

My SIL said " You've built a mighty fine ship, now get her onto the ramp, crack out the champagne and launch her!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now