Talk

Advanced search

Who's ready???

(18 Posts)
Valiant1 Fri 09-Sep-11 04:53:26

DSD is going to MMU this next week and despite what she thinks i am going to miss her sooo much. She lives with us full time and have looked after her for ten years now. (she thinks i hate her and pick on her etc) just wondered if there was anyone one else who not ready to let go i suppose. x

CaptainNancy Fri 09-Sep-11 11:48:19

Aw- MMU is a great university- she's going to have a fantastic time smile

Valiant1 Sat 10-Sep-11 18:34:03

Thanks I hope she will xx

Theas18 Mon 12-Sep-11 09:06:52

Eldest off to Nottingham 25/9 and I'm not ready and will never be really ready I guess but I know in my head she's ready to go, do more and absolutely make the most of her life in every way.

It's both easier and harder that she is my eldest- the first to fly the nest is and "experiment" but I still have my other chicks with me...

I think I'm a bit terrified that she wont make friends, or wont make the right sort of friends- she has had a bunch of amazing mates through school that I would trust with her life, and in a way I feel I have done recently when she's finally discovered the clubbing scene here (she was 18 in july) I know I don't need to wait up worrying as they will make sure together they all get home safe. Gotta trust her though.

mumeeee Mon 12-Sep-11 10:57:15

Theas18. I know how you feel but you DD will be fine. DD2 is about to enter her 3rd year at uni so I've been through this twice. DD1 is still very good friends with a fee people she met at uni and she even married one smile. DD2 wasn't so confident but she has made friends and actually stayed in her shared house with some of her friends as they had work up there. So she's only been home a couple of times this summer. Yes I still miss them both but try and phone once a week. They will sometimes phone me. I still have one DD at home so not quite empty nest yet.

Riveninabingle Mon 12-Sep-11 16:53:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Valiant1 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:47:26

we still waiting for her 'time slot' to collect her key am v annoyed!! maybe just hormones 37+4 and just had enough sooo much to do so little time lol will miss her loads xx your ds will be fine were is he going?

harbingerofdoom Mon 12-Sep-11 20:14:58

I know that my DDs are ready to leave home for university. They would just stagnate by staying in our small town.
Logistically I'm not ready-a whole room looks as if we are preparing for an Arctic trekgrin
Emotionally, I will be blubbing in the car (on the way home for two consecutive weekends).Stiff upper till then.

Greenshadow Tue 13-Sep-11 14:57:24

Currently packing for DS to go tomorrow.
He's very relaxed about it (translated as 'far too laid back and not worried about what to take' etc)

Riveninabingle Tue 13-Sep-11 15:08:12

Riveninabingle Tue 13-Sep-11 15:08:59

Greenshadow Tue 13-Sep-11 15:20:41

Just had to pay an extra £25 just to insure his laptop - goodness knows what it all adds up to.

Riveninabingle Tue 13-Sep-11 15:31:13

Riveninabingle Wed 14-Sep-11 20:41:11

Greenshadow Wed 14-Sep-11 22:08:58

£25 (a year) is just for the laptop, both in and outside his room.

It's an extension of the cover that is included with the University accommodation - Cover4Students. They get the basic cover and you can get an instance quote for additional items via their website.

thekidsmom Thu 15-Sep-11 09:26:10

riven - take a look at your home insurance pocily - you might find its covered for your kids when they are away from home - I was surprised when I found that ours are covered (thru Zurich)

gingeroots Thu 15-Sep-11 09:36:08

Yes ,our DS is also covered insurance wise .
£3000 "away from home " .
Aviva.
But advised to notify students address to Aviva.

Riveninabingle Thu 15-Sep-11 09:44:29

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now