Talk

Advanced search

Anyone (or your dd/ds) done LNAT?

(7 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Wed 07-Sep-11 08:02:28

I know some law schools require it. Did they do any preparation other than the online tests, and thinking of the practice factor is it something you can retake and then just submit your highest score, or do you only get one go at it? And what precentage/score is fantastic?

Thanks

mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 08-Sep-11 16:59:57

DS sat it last year as two of the Unis he was applying to required it. I will get him to post his comments once he has finished slaving over a hot stove grin

mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 08-Sep-11 17:20:19

soontobelawstudent here. I did the LNAT in October as two of my Unis required it (Oxford and Durham). I shall deal with your points in order.

- For preparation I used a Critical Thinking textbook and did practice exercises from that as this is somewhat similar to the LNAT multiple choice section. I also, of course, did LNAT practice tests. However, I would say that the LNAT is not something that you can really practice for and that any preparatory activites can only get you so far, depending on natural aptidude for these types of tests/questions. It is a good idea to practice the essay writing section, IMO, as this is something you can improve on with practice.

- I believe that you may only sit the LNAT test once in each session (UCAS application cycle), as your results are sent directly to your LNAT Unis within a day or so (you find out your result in January)

- A median score is about 23/42 on the multiple choice section but Unis differ in what scores they accept. A score under 18 is generally seen as too low. The essay is not marked, but is sent to the Unis so that they can read/mark it themselves.

Hope this helps.

PS here's the link to the LNAT website for further information:
www.lnat.ac.uk/

Yellowstone Thu 08-Sep-11 18:58:07

DD3 did the same as soontobe as far as practice goes. In her case Bristol, Durham, UCL and Oxford all required the LNAT.

The test results were released to students this year on 2nd Feb and the average score for the multiple choice was 17.7 out of 42. We understood that UCL had a quite ruthless policy of immediately rejecting all those who scored under 20, or 20 and under, and said as much in their notification ('your LNAT score means that your application doesn't warrant further consideration').

The number of questions this year increased which led to quite a few students struggling for time and also (I think) to the average score going down.

UCL seems to use the test to cull early and it offers late, Durham seems to make early offers based on the test but doesn't seem to cull in the same way as UCL and Bristol seems to wait for a 'gathered field'. Those might be quite loose observations but they're based on the past few years experience from the DC at school.

Yellowstone Thu 08-Sep-11 19:09:54

I've just used the link but can't find this year's stats. I've come across a few scoring 30 this year but that doesn't mean they aren't out there!

Yellowstone Thu 08-Sep-11 19:11:57

Sorry. I meant that doesn't mean there aren't higher scores out there!

goingmadinthecountry Fri 09-Sep-11 09:14:03

Thank you. Will show this to dd. She did critical thinking AS last year so hopefully the format and language should be pretty familiar to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now