Talk

Advanced search

Resits - advice please.

(4 Posts)
melodyangel Tue 06-Sep-11 13:24:26

DS1 acheived A grades in both his Biology AS exams and was predicted a B in his coursework BUT when he got the results he got an E in the coursework which brought his overall grade down to a B.

We have been advised by the college to apply for the script to be returned so we can all see what has gone wrong between their assesment and the actual result. They are refusing to apply for a whole group coursework remark although at least 30 students have been down graded many by three grade like DS1. Others have acheived much better results so they won't risk a remark.

They want DS1 and the others to then resit/ retake the coursework element of the exam in January. So on his UCAS form he will have to apply with the B grade he acheived overall and then redo the coursework at the same time as his A2 coursework. He will then have the Biology AS counted as a resit.

FFS this is not the students doing and yet they seem to have to clear up the mess for the college.

Do resits count against the students? I have heard that they do but the college say that they don't. DS1 is visiting uni's and hassling admission tutors I'm trying to do the same here.

Any advice would be very gratefully recieved. I'm at my wits end today!

BlackandGold Tue 06-Sep-11 21:57:14

I know that they can be a problem if applying for Medicine; not sure about other subjects.

thisnameisalreadyinuse Tue 06-Sep-11 22:07:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crazymum53 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:39:50

Hello there. I have moderated Science coursework for an AS Science subject but not Biology and this was before the specification changed so may not be completely relevant but hope this helps.
Basically most students lost marks because their teachers had not applied the markscheme correctly. A centre usually sends a sample of scripts to the exam board, but if a centre had scripts that differed from the teachers mark by a certain amount on moderation then they were "out of tolerance" and the whole centre had to be looked at. If there were more scripts that were "out of tolerance" then the whole centre had to be looked at by a more senior moderator. It is likely that this is what has happened to your centres scripts. Course work is sent back to the centres automatically and the teachers should have a copy of the marks awarded and the moderated mark on the front. If this has already been seen by a senior moderator there may be additional marks on the front and it is unlikely that a re-mark would help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now