Talk

Advanced search

How does DS1 show on his UCAS application that his Chemistry A level was done in one year.

(11 Posts)
lazymumofteenagesons Sat 03-Sep-11 13:03:42

He did 3 A levels in 2010 and then changed his mind about what he wanted to do at university. He eventually decided he wanted to study Pharmacology and joined a course aimed at resitters to do a 1 year A level in Chemistry. This was very intensive and he did extremely well and got an 'A'.
However, when he comes to fill in his results for UCAS application 2012 there is nothing to differentiate between this being a retake after doing badly in it first time.
He will make sure this comes out in his personal statement, but if admissions people just scan the results it could be that he flunked it first time round.
The reason he is concerned is that chemistry is the most important of the a levels for this course. I wondered if anyone (admissions tutors?) could shed some light on this.

goinggetstough Sat 03-Sep-11 15:23:59

Can his referee not stress this in his reference or in his personal statement?

lazymumofteenagesons Sat 03-Sep-11 15:48:07

He will try and ensure that the referee puts it in and his statement will refer to his change of direction etc. Its just that there have been threads on here regarding the fact that often first decisions are made without looking at the PS or reference.

festi Sat 03-Sep-11 15:54:28

Just put in the retake result and not the other. I only put in the relevent results when I filled mine in for this year so basically left out any gcse results below a c and only put in my retake results and not original (lower) results.

lazymumofteenagesons Sat 03-Sep-11 16:06:24

Festi- thats the point, its NOT a retake. He did AS and A2 chemistry all in one year, the year after he did his original 3 A levels. He wants to ensure it does NOT look like a retake.

TheProvincialLady Sat 03-Sep-11 16:10:48

He could say it at the very beginning of his statement. I wonder if he should ring the relevant departments to explain the issue and ask them what he should do?

festi Sat 03-Sep-11 16:19:07

I understand that now, sorry. Im not sure It would make too much difference would it, as long as he has the actual requirements, but I suppose that depends on how competative the intake proccess is and so In which case I would suggest he calls or even makes an appointment with the actual course admission team and discuss this directly. they will then be able to tell him the best way to ensure he is considered. I would also suggest getting his application in as soon as ucas opens as this year when doing mine I foolishly thought that shortlisting etc would be done once ucas closed this was not the case and I think I was very lucky to get an interview on a very over subscribed course.

Best of luck to him.

goinggetstough Sat 03-Sep-11 16:47:58

Festi I believe that you have to put ALL results of any exams taken. I believe now you are not allowed to pick and choose what you put on the UCAS form. The only exception being if you get a U grade, then you can leave it out.
This can make the difference of being offered a place or having one taken away (as per a story on TSR Student room) when they were found out.

I would definitely second putting UCAS applications as early as possible. Some say that if you are not applying to Oxbridge/Vets/Med which has an early application date that you should submit your form after the Oxbridge date. Some say there is a negative bias if they think you are applying to Oxbridge - haven't seen any evidence of this other than rumours.

lazymumofteenagesons Sat 03-Sep-11 16:52:44

He will try and get it in as early as possible. I don't think there is a problem with universities thinking he has put an oxbridge application in because they do not run a pharmacology degree.
I think ringing up the admissions tutor and asking is a good idea. I'll tell him to do that. He has relooked at where you enter your subjects and there is no space for adding anything in that section.

lazymumofteenagesons Sat 03-Sep-11 16:54:24

If you already have your A levels do you need to put your AS level results in?

festi Sat 03-Sep-11 17:00:22

oh dear, I never put any bellow c grades in and was offered a place. I did have relevent qualifications though. I applied as mature student, indipendant application and not through a school or college, but not sure that as far as exam results, that should make any difference. OOps, hope I dont encounter any problems. I have sent cerificates etc and place confirmed etc.

I would follow any official advice you have been given though. definatly call and find out from the college.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now