Talk

Advanced search

Conditional offer, condition met, now saying "we'll let you know" - wtf?

(35 Posts)
PattyPenguin Thu 01-Sep-11 19:52:22

My daughter was given a conditional offer to do a one-year arts foundation course i.e. a further education course but at a local university. The condition was that she got at least a C in one art subject. She's known through the school for some time that she got a Distinction in her BTEC Graphic Design, which is equivalent to an A at A level. A fortnight ago she got confirmation of this, and of her grades at A level - C in Psychology and D in Art. The university contacted her that day and she emailed scans of her results. As she'd got the equivalent of an A in one of her arts subjects, we presumed everything was OK.

But this morning they sent her an email asking her to send confirmation of her results to a different email address and saying they'd contact her again with a decision.

Does anyone know whether an applicant is likely to be refused a place on a foundation year despite having satisfied the condition of a conditional offer?

Confuseddd Thu 01-Sep-11 20:04:37

Hi there, is there anywhere in the prospectus where they define what an 'art subject' is? Without knowing more facts, I can't say, but do you think they may be considering her to be a borderline case (i.e. One that requires special consideration) due to the D in Art?

PattyPenguin Thu 01-Sep-11 20:17:21

It says "grade C at A-level in an art and design-related subject". So I would have expected Graphic Design to count.

Jellykat Thu 01-Sep-11 20:57:50

Why not ring the uni tomorrow, and speak to someone in the Admissions dept.. they maybe able to explain the situation clearer.

I guess they're weighing up the D at A level against the BTEC distinction as Confusedd has said, but i can totally understand what you're saying.

PattyPenguin Thu 01-Sep-11 22:10:01

My daughter is going to ring tomorrow. She's quite confident enough to do that. And if it's bad news, her dad is at home and she can ring me at work. We'll just have to hope for the best.

Jellykat Thu 01-Sep-11 22:46:44

Oops - ^ Clearer should say clearly ^ My brain is tired...

But Good luck to you both, hope it all turns out well! smile

PattyPenguin Fri 02-Sep-11 07:46:57

I haven't had much sleep. I've been up since 4.30 going over grade equivalence tables, stuff from the college, you name it.

Thing is, the college sent her its pre-course instruction / information book setting out what materials she had to have, what books she'd have to have read, what work she'd have to have done, by the beginning of term - which is next week, mark you. I've already bought all the books and most of the materials. On the first page of the book it says "..you will be embarking on (name of course)" and going on to say that she "will" be getting a full handbook during the first week.

I just can't see why they've started messing about now.

MindtheGappp Fri 02-Sep-11 14:44:18

Did it say a C at A-level or equivalent?

PattyPenguin Fri 02-Sep-11 15:51:14

No, to be fair, it didn't say "or equivalent". But it did say that students with other qualifications such as the National Diploma (which is what the BTEC qualification is) might be considered on an individual basis.

My daughter went for an interview with her portfolio long before the results or even the exams. She was interviewed by the Graphic Design tutor who was well aware that she was doing a BTEC in the subject not an A level. It was after that interview that she got her conditional offer.

She finally got through to the college today and was told they were still selecting people for the course.

Not much sleep for either of us this weekend, then, barring a miracle.

Oh, and I've just heard that my uncle and my aunt are in hospital.

I'm sorry, I'm whingeing, aren't I?

goinggetstough Fri 02-Sep-11 16:32:59

Hope your relations are better soon and the college place is sorted out too!

SarkySpanner Fri 02-Sep-11 18:50:29

My guess is that you initially sent the info to the admin assistant who deals with all the really straightforward cases and that they have asked you to send the info to the admissions tutor who deals with anything that is not absolutely clear cut.

So don't assume the worst. It just means it needs input from someone 'higher up'

gingeroots Fri 02-Sep-11 19:05:29

I really feel for you - I was in very similar position 2 weeks ago .
Conditional offer from FE college for a Foundation Degree .
Conditions met ,UCAS track changed from conditional to unsuccesful .
DS queried with college .They said not enough points ,DS queried and they said they "couldn't see " one of his results ???
Said they'd change it ,changed back to conditional .
Looooong sleepless weekend ,finally changed to succesful .

Obviously different ,but I so sympathise .
Will be thinking of you on Monday and crossing everything - let us know how you get on .

Jellykat Fri 02-Sep-11 21:38:46

gingeroots glad your situation turned out well - phew..
(I'm just so relieved my DS1 has finished his degree now)

Fingers crossed for you and your DD over the weekend Patty!
Will you come back and let us know what happens?

PattyPenguin Sat 03-Sep-11 10:39:46

Absolutely I'll let you know. In the meantime, the house is going to get such a cleaning - displacement activity!

gingeroots Sat 03-Sep-11 11:54:38

Way to go PattyPenguin !

gingeroots Mon 05-Sep-11 20:13:57

Patty - any luck ?

Jellykat Mon 05-Sep-11 20:52:38

Patty How did it go today - any update?

gingeroots Mon 05-Sep-11 21:07:23

Hoping it's not bad news Patty.

PattyPenguin Tue 06-Sep-11 13:27:36

No news, still! It's registration day on Thursday, FFS.

There's some news from a friend of my daughter's who applied for the same course. Last Saturday she got her course pack so she's in - and she's only got a Distinction in her BTEC qualification, and no A levels at all!

I am clinging on to this in hope.

If there's nothing by tomorrow I'm going to phone the college and ask what time my daughter is supposed to register on Thursday.

gingeroots Tue 06-Sep-11 14:59:33

Could you ring them today ?

PattyPenguin Tue 06-Sep-11 15:33:35

I'll give them until tomorrow. They'll have to tell me then. If my daughter has got a place we need to make arrangements for her to get to the college the following day.

If she hasn't, I shall want to know why not, what they've been playing at all this time and what they suggest she should do given that all other colleges will have already filled the places on their courses.

Jellykat Tue 06-Sep-11 19:16:42

Blinking nora Patty, that's abysmal! - how can they leave it 'till the last minute like that?
There's got to of been some sort of mix up, surely...

Give 'em 'what for' tomorrow!

Good luck, fingers still crossed for you both.

PattyPenguin Tue 06-Sep-11 21:23:17

Everything is crossed here, believe me. I'm definitely taking a Nytol tonight. If I find myself with battles to be fought and/or plans to be hatched tomorrow, I will need a brain that's not blurry from lack of sleep.

goinggetstough Wed 07-Sep-11 06:20:57

Good luck today!

gingeroots Wed 07-Sep-11 08:18:59

Mmmm - name and shame on mn if they pull offer at this point ?
Thinking of you .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now