Talk

Advanced search

Help needed! Anyone have DC going to Newcastle uni from Herts or N London?

(34 Posts)
mouldyironingboard Mon 22-Aug-11 12:38:00

My DD is going to Newcastle university. Unfortunately, my DH and I can't take her as we both have health problems. I am almost housebound at the moment and my DH can't drive for more than an hour or so. She can't manage to take all her stuff on her own and we don't know anyone else going there. I've rung several small removal companies and they charge at least £300! Can anyone help?

Naoko Mon 22-Aug-11 15:27:01

Can't help you directly I'm afraid, but could she take the train with a large suitcase of essentials for the first few days, then have the rest couriered to her once she figures out where deliveries go in her halls? www.parcelmonkey.co.uk does really cheap courier deals - I've used it to send very large, heavy boxes in the past. I just put in made-up details for two good-size boxes weighing 30kg each, and it gave me a quote of about £20 for the pair, which doesn't seem so bad? You'd have to pack very carefully to keep down the volume, but even if you end up sending 3 or 4 boxes, at that kind of price it's still a sight better than £300!

mrsscoob Mon 22-Aug-11 18:23:29

Do you not have a relative or a friend that could help? TBH I find your request rather bizarre, is it not a little strange to be asking for strangers on the internet to give your daughter a lift? I appreciate you are housebound but surely there must be someone else?

yellowraincoat Mon 22-Aug-11 18:38:48

How much stuff does she need? I took myself off to uni on my own with 2 suitcases.

mouldyironingboard Mon 22-Aug-11 18:52:04

Naoko, thank you for that link. That's very helpful.

mrsscoob, I wasn't asking for a lift. I was hoping for suggestions (like Naoko made) about ways of actually getting DD's stuff to Newcastle. I don't have any relatives or friends that can help as they have their own DC going off to university at the same time!

campergirls Mon 22-Aug-11 18:55:34

Liftshare might help

mouldyironingboard Mon 22-Aug-11 18:55:53

yellowraincoat, she can probably manage with 2 suitcases and will have to buy other things when she arrives there (like bedding, plates and food).

Changebagsandgladrags Mon 22-Aug-11 20:10:44

If she needs plates and stuff, could somewhere like Argos not deliver it? Is she going to be self-catering?

mouldyironingboard Mon 22-Aug-11 22:51:47

Yes, she's going to be self-catering. I'm not sure about getting Argos to deliver as the first few days in halls will be very hectic with hundreds of other students arriving at the same time and queuing up for room keys.

wellwisher Mon 22-Aug-11 23:07:42

I think she will have to manage. She's an adult now! She can take the train with 2 suitcases (give her money for taxis if you can), and you can either arrange for the other things she needs to be delivered to her halls (shop for them together online before she goes - johnlewis.com or similar) or she can do that when she gets there.

She'll be sharing a kitchen with lots of other students, won't she? I'm sure if she explains that she's had to come by train, people will lend her any cooking stuff she hasn't got until she has a chance to get what she needs.

wellwisher Mon 22-Aug-11 23:10:34

Might actually be nice for you to do her pre-uni shop with her online, as if you're housebound you presumably can't go with her in person! Although it may also be worth her waiting until she's there - if she's not used to cooking for herself she won't need much to start with, and it may be useful to wait and see what the other students in her hall have if they're going to end up sharing stuff - e.g. no point having 6 saucepan sets and no wok...

nickschick Mon 22-Aug-11 23:15:56

I feel so sorry for you.

I think whats best is if she takes her essentials clothes and books wise and actually buys the things she needs utensil wise once shes there - theres argos/tesco/asda all over the place and they are all the same price wise as other posters have mentioned a lot of her room mates may say oh share this etc etc.

Thing is we as Mums blow these things up out of all proportion and in the grand scheme of things theyre not so big after all.

ggirl Mon 22-Aug-11 23:22:05

The uni may sell essential packages for people coming from abroad. Dd's does a bedding package and a kitchen one.
She'd still have all her other crap though.

GrendelsMum Tue 23-Aug-11 13:51:40

My parents couldn't take me, so I packed a rucksack and a couple of suitcases with the 'essentials' and went by train. It was fine. You need a lot less than you might think, really. Most of what you end up with as a student is rubbish.

The important thing is more that she feels supported when she arrives, when everyone else has doting parents in and out of their rooms. You could maybe pack a card or a home-made cake or a photo of the family or something in her bag as a surprise?

SomethingBlue Tue 23-Aug-11 13:54:26

I went to uni abroad for a year, on a train with two suitcases. When I came back I threw away what I couldn't carry. It was fine. Post her a series of nice parcels and postcards, that will mean a lot to her. I remember how happy a package from home used to make me, just small silly things and litte luxuries.

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 13:56:08

Newcastle do a bedding pack you can buy ahead:

'undergraduate students can save space when packing and pre-order a bedding pack (duvet, duvet cover, pillow, pillowcase and sheet at a cost of £25 for a single'

from here

the cover might not be what she'd choose but at least it would be waiting for her smile

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 13:57:31

which halls is she in? DS1 is there already (just going in to 3rd year) & he might be able to suggest where to go for stuff

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 23-Aug-11 13:59:43

I came to uni in the UK from Holland and whilst my parents did drop me off, I don't recall bringing plates, cooking utensils etc - that was provided for in the halls of residence.
Likewise, in halls of residence a duvet adn pillow were provided, so bed covers can be fitted into your dd's suitcase.

Likewise food - most halls of residence will have a small food shop (ours did) and then she can do a big supermarket shop later with others living in her halls - I don't recaLL anyone arriving with a box of food...

I think two large wheeled suitcases and a big rucksack should enable her to bring everything she needs. I don't think I took more than that even though I was driven there...

Good luck to your dd - she will have a great time I'm sure.

Lilymaid Tue 23-Aug-11 14:16:33

Check what the arrangements are about keeping your things in hall over the vacations - depends on the rental agreement, but at many university halls of residence you have to take practically everything home at the end of term.

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 14:18:44

they may still provide that stuff for overseas students, numbernine (no idea) but they definitely don't for UK ones - it's standard for them to arrive with masses of stuff!

students in catered accom don't need to bring much food or cooking kit, but self-catered do (a lot of it duplicated by the other students in the same flat!)

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 14:22:31

I think most offer only 38-week contracts, Lilymaid (apart from Oxbridge, & possibly places like Durham & York).

38weeks means they can come & go as they please, as well as not having to pack up every term - it's well worth the extra grin

ProfessionallyOffendedGoblin Tue 23-Aug-11 14:23:05

Look to camping gear shops like Millets for lightweight stacking saucepans and frying pans with folding handles, we have a set that have lasted us YH for a decade.
I recommend that she buys when she gets there and as needed.

UsingMainlySpoons Tue 23-Aug-11 14:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gingeroots Tue 23-Aug-11 16:32:32

Might there be a Facebook page ( or whatever it's called ) for people starting her course /University ?
Could she find someone else going from your neighborhood ?

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 17:00:22

oh that's a good idea, gingeroots!

Ricky Road have a group - if that's where she's going she might even be able to contact flatmates before she goes.

there are some for Castle Leazes too but none seems to have many members

Newcastle accommodation thread from thestudentroom - you can put her halls in the search box to find threads with mentions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now