Talk

Advanced search

BSL level 2

(14 Posts)
cheesespread Sat 20-Aug-11 17:49:22

Hi there

just wondering if anyone has done BSL level 2 and how they found it

mumofsoontobelawstudent Sat 20-Aug-11 19:30:29

Hi, I started doing it about 6 years ago and it was very hard, a big step up from level 1. Had to do 'working towards level 2' first which I seem to recall was a 6 or 10 week course. How long ago did you do level 1?

cheesespread Sat 20-Aug-11 20:19:10

i finished level 1 in feb and im currently doing the bridging course to prepare me for level 2

did you pass level 2?

mumofsoontobelawstudent Sat 20-Aug-11 20:31:48

Didn't finish it, I moved abroad a month or so into the course so didn't get to complete it but I know I would have found it hard. Would really like to get back into it now I'm back in the UK but a lot of years have passed and suspect I will have to re-do Level 1. What does your tutor say? When I did working towards we had to have an interview to decide whether we could do level 2. You should be guided by your tutor. Good luck

AmeliaSachs Sat 20-Aug-11 20:50:31

I'm looking at starting BSL level 2 in Spetember. I'm a bit concerned now x

mumofsoontobelawstudent Sat 20-Aug-11 20:57:00

Don't be concerned, how long ago did you do Level 1? I'm sure you will have to have an interview beforehand and if your tutor is anything like mine was he/she will be very re-assuring and supportive

notcitrus Sat 20-Aug-11 22:00:51

If you did level 1 recently and more importantly have people to practice with regularly, it should be fine.
I quit after a term of level 2 for a number of reasons:
- I'd had to do level 1 resit as all of my class failed. Our tutor's other class all passed. Different examiner and this was pre videoing exams. So I was out of practice by the time level 2 started.
- My friends I used to practice with had moved away.
- The BSL2 tutor didn't know enough English to explain grammar to us - if you were good at copying physical movements, she was a good teacher, but otherwise you were stuffed. The only lass doing well was a professional dancer. I find Mr Tumble hard to keep up with so was hopeless!
- getting to the class was hard (2 hour commute)
- I stopped being on benefits so would have had to pay full whack.
They did discounts if your partner or child or any of your family were deaf, or if your colleague was deaf. If you were deaf, tough!

People I know who've done level 2 more recently have found it manageable but there's a lot of teaching to the test - you need to know exactly what's been assessed.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sat 20-Aug-11 22:13:44

I finished level 2 in june. It's a much bigger commitment than level 1 I found, definitely need to practice outside of the class, worth looking for your local Deaf club and going along.

AmeliaSachs Sun 21-Aug-11 19:53:58

I finished level 1 in July. Quite a few of my level 1 class will be going onto the level 2 class. There is a fairly local deaf club but we have to ask permission first if we're BSL students.

Is there a lot more grammer in level 2? We did some in level one.

ninjagoose How many hours did you do outside classes: hours in class?

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 21-Aug-11 22:47:12

amelia, yep, much more focus on grammar and sentence structure, multi channel signs, non manual features, directional verbs etc. Our tutor also tried to get as much about Deaf culture in as he could too. We had 3 hours a week in the classroom, then Deaf club as often as we could get there, the only one I could get to ran every other week and I didn't get to every one of them, not so easy with small dcs. Now it's finished I'm missing the classes and I'm still trying to get to Deaf club when I can.

cheesespread Mon 22-Aug-11 16:34:11

ive already enrolled to do it now so just gonna try my best

ive been to the local deaf club 4 times now and each time ive went ive been told to come back and see a man,everytime ive been back he s not there

i asked my tutor of the bridging course what to do and she said to start off with coffee morning meetings 1st as the deaf community are very closed and it takes a while for them to accept a hearin person

im just worried ive paid out a lot of money and im going to be out of my depth and feel like an idiot if i fail

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 22-Aug-11 17:25:41

I'm sure you'll be fine smile There's plenty of stuff on youtube you can look at, one of the exams is receptive skills so looking there would be good. I'm sure you'll find other people on the course who'd appreciate the chance to practice as well.

cheesespread Tue 23-Aug-11 14:22:20

i hope so it took me years to get the courage up to enrol for level 1 but im so glad i did it,im trying to stay positive and ill ask the tutor for help if i feel im not doing well,im sure we ll all be in the same boat

AmeliaSachs Sun 28-Aug-11 13:23:49

cheesespread when does your course start?

I start on 20th Spetember, maybe we can start a support thread for level 2??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now