Advanced search

Student Finance

(17 Posts)
daphnedill Fri 19-Aug-11 19:26:53

Is anybody else having problems with Student Finance?

I've just received a letter from Student Finance after applying for a maintenance grant for my daughter months ago well before the deadline, stating they can't process the claim because I can't prove I'm divorced.

They state that they need evidence less than three months old, but would be prepared to accept a decree absolute, which is 8 years old - unfortunately, I've lost it!

They then stated they would accept a council tax bill saying I have a 25% discount for single adult occupancy. Unfortunately, when my daughter turned 18, the code changed, so although I still get the 25% discount, it's what's called a disregard, because she's still in full time education. Student Finance won't accept that. They want a letter from the council explaining the situation. The council say they won't write a letter, but will phone or email Student Finance. Student Finance won't accept that.

I've been on to the head honcho at Student Finance, but "rules is rules". I'm trying to get back to the council, but the number is permanently engaged.


So much for high achieving students from low income families getting support! I feel like a letter to my MP and the Guardian coming on!!!!

The person I spoke to said many parents/applicants were in the same situation. If that's the case, I guess some of them might be on MN.

ggirl Fri 19-Aug-11 19:29:06

Can you get a copy of decree absoute from your ex?

javo Sat 20-Aug-11 14:43:58

Could you get a copy (may have to pay something) from the solicitor firm that you used - they usually archive documents.

It's awful - I have had lots of probs with student finance too - spent lots of time and money on producing financial evidence of my lowly income for them (even though they have my tax return) They then sent my DD an agreement for loans with no grant and the cheek to claim when she phoned about it (they wouldn't speak to me) that her application was an "unsupported" application. They have finally accepted that her application is supported and that I have sent all the financial info but they still need a few more weeks to sort it out - grr!!

Yellowstone Sat 20-Aug-11 15:42:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyPablo Sat 20-Aug-11 15:45:35

Can you not contact your solicitor and request a copy of your decree absolute?

ggirl Sat 20-Aug-11 17:02:15

have to agree that student finance don't seem to know their arse form their elbow
DD's was straight forward but we had 3 requests for details we had already sent.

NadiaWadia Mon 22-Aug-11 12:45:19

Does that mean that if you're just separated, not divorced, and the student lives with the lower income parent, they will be still treated financially as if living with both parents? This doesn't seem right, my DN got the full grant based on her mother's income even though her parents were not yet divorced?

mumofsoontobelawstudent Mon 22-Aug-11 13:33:39

Your old solicitor may have a copy of DA on the old file but not all keep a copy, they simply send the original to the client.

You can however get a copy from the County Court where your divorce was dealt with. If it is local and you go in person you can probably get it done whilst you wait or if not local you will have to write and request it but they do charge a few, usually a few pounds. You can get it quicker if you have the case number, which will be in the top right hand corner of any old orders you may have. You will need to quote yours and your ex's full names and let them know approximate date of DA.

Yellowstone Mon 22-Aug-11 15:53:47

No Nadia, if a student lives with one parent, it's that parent's income which is taken into account. De facto separation is counted in the same way as legal separtion or divorce, it just has to be proved.

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 17:24:05

When I was having ishoos with Student Finance they got a lot more helpful after I said I'd have to write to my MP...Darlington a lot more use than Glasgow

Yellowstone, I so agree about the good old days when the local council handled it - for one thing the numbers were more manageable, & for another you could always speak to someone who knew what they were doing. As usual wildly expensive centralisation ruins a perfectly workable system

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 17:24:45

& even Darlington managed to lose a P60 completely.

Yellowstone Tue 23-Aug-11 22:23:15

& last year Darlington lost a passport too.

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 22:49:09

what - permanently? what did you do?

Yellowstone Tue 23-Aug-11 23:00:07

Yes, vanished.

But it was DD2's friend at school. His parents were far too meek and simply filled in the pain of a form and forked out for a new one.

That wouldn't be my style at all angry....

Ponders Tue 23-Aug-11 23:09:16

no, nor mine, they're about 80 quid now, aren't they? grrr

Betelguese Mon 29-Aug-11 23:58:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Betelguese Tue 30-Aug-11 00:15:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: