Talk

Advanced search

english lit and lang AS results

(7 Posts)
pinksmartie Thu 18-Aug-11 19:59:16

Did anyone elses DC get much lower than predicted English AS results my DD only got a C but she got a A for course work and was predicted an A. I feel so disappointed for her as I know she's a hard worker, I know she still has a year to pull it back but was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience

Tidybush Thu 18-Aug-11 21:37:01

Yes mine did. DD was predicted a B for Eng lit but got a D. However, she had already decided to drop this so this made it easier.

pinksmartie Thu 18-Aug-11 21:41:42

my DD really wants to do english at uni so dropping not a option!
I hope your DD did well in her other AS's!

Tidybush Thu 18-Aug-11 21:51:56

Well a C isn't bad - it's not too much of a leap to pull it up in a year.

Has she looked at any unis and if so what are the required grades like?

I did my degree in English a few years ago as a mature student and loved it.

My DD got a B and two Cs so hopes to pull each up by at least a grade. Although having said that she wants to go to drama school, where competition is very fierce and entry is based on audition. Not many students get in at 18 so her plan B is to work for a year and reapply in 2013 so knows that she'll need good grades to get into employment even if it's just a stopgap.

I think our DCs are in a better position that this year's yr 13s because at least we know they'll have the higher fees so there isn't the same kind of pressure to get in first time.

pinksmartie Thu 18-Aug-11 22:00:14

I know your right...she'll pull it up next year
she wants to english/creative writing or english/media studies
most uni's she's looked at want ABB. we have talked about taking a year....she still has lots of options.
thanks for your response

eatyourveg Fri 19-Aug-11 08:07:29

ds2 looking at english with creative writing too. Have you considered looking at straight English lit courses? Some of them have creative writing modules. Also I saw yesterday that there were vacancies for english with journalism. Might be another option to consider. DS1 was one point short of an A yesterday which is frustrating, hopefully he can raise his game too. School advice is to apply for 5 courses over a range of grades so he's now looking for places from ABB - BBC.

In the clearing listings in the Telegraph English is on 3 different places, it comes under creative writing, english and then there are also courses under writing. You need to look in several places there just might be something hidden away somewhere such as comparative literature and communication.

Also I have noticed that English with creative writing requires different grades to English and creative writing which is different again to creative writing with english. All very confusing but by shifting the emphasis of the course you can get a wider choice

pinksmartie Fri 19-Aug-11 09:17:04

We are really lucky my DD school are really helpful suggesting and searching courses that will suit, so we are getting lots of support.
I'm more concerned that she has taken it so hard, she has always done so well and this is her first real set back(could be a good thing)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now