Talk

Advanced search

Have I got any chance of being a social worker?

(14 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 16:18:00

I am just thinkging about the time I applied to be a Samaritan and was told to come back when a bit older. I think I wasn't supposed to share an experience I had had. The whole world knows I have issues so thinking Social Services wouldn't want me either.

knittedbreast Tue 16-Aug-11 18:53:41

the samaritans will not take you on if you have issues that may be unresolved.

would you consider a degree of counselling course? as part of the course you do personal development and reflect back on your self and experiences. Counselling course will both be very useful to the above mentioned, make sure its BACP approved. Once you get to the professional training level and dependinng on which disciplin you follow you will need some counselling hours yourself so that you can be sure to be in your clients frame of reference rather than projecting your issues on to them.

we all have issues, its what you do with them and how you grow that matters

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 18:56:55

It sounds daft but I would like to qualify as a SW but not necessarily work as one so your idea about a course sounds perfect. Thanks.

knittedbreast Tue 16-Aug-11 19:03:40

what about a community mental health nurse? you could try volunteering at your local menatal health hospital as an advocate?

do remember there is NO money in mental health now. you will need lots of experience. if there is local youth counselling place they often have you volunteer on reception for 3 months and then pay for your study for level 1-3 as you volunteer for them.

Most psychotherapists end up working self meployed-youl need to find the clients and its hard getting reccomendations without drs etc..sign posting to you as a private individual rather than nhs.

nhs will only really use Person centred approach or cogntive behavioural therapy. psychodynamic/analytical psychotherapy is expensive, elitist and jobs are like gold dust in the nhs, the further training can be rediculous. For example after your post grad to be a jungian analyst youl need to train in one of 2 places in the uk, and the fees are extrodinary.

good luck smile

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 19:06:26

I have no qualifications or experience of anything other than working as a nanny and in shops and being depressed myself.

I need to find something to do that is for me and not about being a mum and to stretch my brain.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 18-Aug-11 16:35:08

I have been thinking about this again today and I have realised I want to do the studying to keep my brain in play and myself interested in life but I don't think I would be able to work as a social worker.

keynesian Thu 18-Aug-11 17:35:21

Have a good look at OU - the openings courses are a great way to get back to study - and if you think you might want to go to Uni in the future, have a look at HE Access courses at local colleges.

TheOriginalFAB Thu 18-Aug-11 18:17:21

Is OU where you can study at home?

keynesian Thu 18-Aug-11 19:16:52

Sorry, yes, Open University www.open.ac.uk

And before you decide have a look at their free bits www.openlearn.open.ac.uk

TheOriginalFAB Thu 18-Aug-11 19:39:22

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

icancancan Fri 19-Aug-11 09:16:22

ask yourself FAB if you have the motivation to do a three year degree (which is what the SW course is now) and be honest with yourself about why you want to do social work in particular - the course will include placements which will stretch you academically and emotionally. You really need to be able to deal with your own emotional issues in order to be able to support others in this field. I dont know your 'back story' FAB but it might be better to try to get some counselling via GP to work through any issues first. If you do not want to be a social worker at the end of it, i dont think there is really any point. Far better I think to do something like nursing, or teaching where there seem to be more options when you graduate/finish. Or maybe occupational therapy - lots of opportunities there for working with children and adults without becoming too emotionally invested.

Think the suggestions for OU are good - there are so many short courses that will ease you into studying and give you the time to think about what you really want to do.
good luck

TheOriginalFAB Fri 19-Aug-11 09:49:03

I would be a rubbsih SW in somw eays as would want to take all the children home. I need to do something though as I am going stir crazy.

AuntieMonica Fri 19-Aug-11 09:59:20

are you a parent, OP?

Volunteering with an organisation such as HomeStart can be a very useful insight into SW with families. The training course is fairly short (our local one is 6-8 sessions) with on-going training and support once you are visiting families.

You have to be a parent to be a HS Vol though

TheOriginalFAB Fri 19-Aug-11 12:21:58

I am a parent but a crap one so I think this is all just a daft idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now