Advanced search

Housing benefit while studying nursing

(3 Posts)
shirl0510 Sun 14-Aug-11 22:44:59

Hi, I am a single mother to a 10 month son. I have been accepted to study a degree in nursing full time this september. Do any students know if I will qualify to get housing benefit. Also what finance can i apply from student finance and from NHS

BertieBotts Mon 15-Aug-11 18:55:32

I think that you can claim housing benefit regardless of being a student if you are a single parent, but I'm not sure.

This should have all the other info you need:

You will probably have to apply through the university for childcare funding, as this is not available from any other sources, unless you are working 16 hours a week and are getting WTC.

belledechocchipcookie Mon 15-Aug-11 19:01:20

You have to look at the NHS bursary unit web site, you can also get a student loan (see student direct for this), child tax credit and child benefit. Any childcare will be paid for via the bursary unit. You can claim housing benefit but they will take everything that you have coming in into account. Full time students don't pay for council tax.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: