Talk

Advanced search

When do they go???

(22 Posts)
Valiant1 Sun 07-Aug-11 19:47:59

When do they actually go to Uni My ds has finally sorted uni and she has MMU! I know she has to wait for the official letter/e-mail on the 18/8/11. We looked on the web site at term dates and the first day is the 19/9/11, so when do they go and set up there stuff and settle in? I will be 38 weeks pg so need to start sorting stuff asap with her. Any ideas?

LawrieMarlow Sun 07-Aug-11 19:56:02

They generally go to university the weekend before so I would think 17/18 September for your DD. Different universities start at different times though.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 07-Aug-11 19:57:04

If she's staying in halls of residence then she should get a letter, telling her what day she can move in, it's usually a week before she enrolls. If she's a home student then she'll get a letter/email telling her when to enroll. If she's not staying in halls and has other accomodation sorted then she needs to be there before they enroll. After she's enrolled she'll get a timetable for her classes. Hope this helps. smile

Ponders Sun 07-Aug-11 19:59:58

19th will be first day of Freshers' week I should think? DS2 is going to Sheffield (we hope!) & it is for him - actual term starts on 26th.

Valiant1 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:11:10

Thank you just looked on the accommodation bit and it says her contract is from the 17/9 so that must be the earliest she can move in? I said after i wrote this people will think i want her gone lol I don't just like to be prepared, all very exciting xx good luck for all that awaiting results xx

belledechocchipcookie Sun 07-Aug-11 20:25:19

That's OK. I remember leaving home to go to Uni (many moons ago). They should send her info to tell her where she's living. I'd give them a call if you've not heard by the end of next week.

Valiant1 Sun 07-Aug-11 20:38:49

Will do x Thanks again xx

BlackandGold Wed 10-Aug-11 21:38:42

Unis don't normally send out much information until after A level results day on 18 Aug.

After that be prepared for the onslaught!

Valiant1 Sat 13-Aug-11 14:47:41

Am so stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH and SD went to Manchester to look at accommodation one isn't great but cheep and the the other is ace and reasonable but just found out they want £600 today for her to book a place!!!!!!!!!!! were am i supposed to get that from?????

i am so ready to just go to my room and shut the door the end of sept!!!!!!!!

gingeroots Sat 13-Aug-11 17:32:23

Sympathies valiant - can you ring uni on monday and ask for help ?
Put it on a credit card ...... ?

Greenshadow Sat 13-Aug-11 17:51:41

University accommodation is horrendously expensive!

We were shocked that accommodation alone is more than the basic student loan. We have had to pay the deposit ourselves and set up a DD for the rest from our account as DS1 won't be able to pay it.

His university (UWE) allocated places in May (I think it was) so he has already started corresponding with his new flat mates via Facebook.

Valiant1 Sat 13-Aug-11 18:44:45

Have no credit cards she going ring nanny lol failing that i will get a loan and she will have pay me back just sooooooo annoying thought we were sorted..I know what you mean about not enough to live on am going have to send food parcels i think and look for bargain on toiletries for her. told her that what she having for Christmas lol

sayithowitis Tue 16-Aug-11 23:40:54

Cost of accommodation obviously depends on the university. Dc1 was in halls for the first year and the cost was extremely reasonable - around £74pw for a large, well equipped room with en-suite shower/toilet and a shared kitchen and common room. No other bills to pay(heating/hot water/cooking/internet). Also, only payable from September to June.Shared houses off campus vary greatly in both cost and quality. Last year the house was around £500 pcm for the whole year. Some bills included, but not all. New house for this year quiet a lot cheaper, though no bills. I reckin though, that they would be hard pushed to spend as much on bills each month as they are saving on the rent. We will see.

If moving into halls, the university will advise you when she can move. DC1's university staggered their moving in so that they didn't have 11,000 students and parents all turning up on the same day. Obviously off campus accommodation is more flexible on that front.

gailpottertilsleyplatt Tue 16-Aug-11 23:52:41

Presumably you've known for a couple of years that she'd be going to university and both you and she had plenty of time to research likely costs and budget and, you know, SAVE ...

sayithowitis Wed 17-Aug-11 09:38:54

gail, that is harsh! We are not all in a position where we can save. And parents of children who were born prior to the introduction of tuition fees in 1998 have been hit with this new system without always having the benefit of being able to make provision for it. Our DC were already over half way through their compulsory schooling at that time. Our finances were already committed to paying things like mortgage etc. We simply did not ( and do not ) have money available to save. And of course, fees have increased as well, so even if we had been able to save, it would not have been enough. Our children also did not have the benefit of the child fund ( or whatever it was called). And at around the same time Miras was abolished which also pushed up the cost of mortgages.

Parents of children born today know that they will be paying fees for university education and can plan for it from the outset. It is much easier to plan when you know you are going to have a full 18 years ahead of you to save. It is a lot more difficult when the goalposts are moved halfway through the game and you have much less time available to try to save the same amount of money!

harbingerofdoom Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:46

Hear,hear*sayithowitis*. The goal posts have been moved so many times in the last 18 years. Nobody could quite predict the mess various governments have made to higher education!

gingeroots Wed 24-Aug-11 21:03:05

Not all ciolleges/unis tell you in advance that they're going to want a deposit .
Ours was £700 and we only found out it was needed about a month ago .

Valiant1 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:44:42

Gail seems nice lol obviously money bags xx
any way Gail to answer your questions I am her step mum for a start her mum died when she was 4. I am 27 and so no have not had 18 years to save for UNI and she wasn't going to uni till last September!!!! When she left school she was originally doing travel and tourism to be a air hostess! we also have three other children and one on the way any day and thanks to government cuts i lost my job as a teaching assistant in September, DH lost his job at Christmas so yes we are skint!!!!! to the point we have no car and are only shopping twice a month to make ends meet! some people are so far up their own asses i'm glad you have been able to pay for your dc tuition fees and hall fees and give them money for food what an amazing parent you are, i suppose you are paying for their car too!!!!! all i asked was how people are coping!!!!and like gingeroots says we were not told till we said "oh this is nice " well we want silly amount of money now!!!!!!
Hope everyone else sorted we managed in the end just got to drop her off on the 17th sad will be quit sad i think..

gingeroots Tue 30-Aug-11 18:52:22

Wow Valiant - your name is truly apt !
You've done brilliantly to cope with all this ,you should be really proud .
By the way ,lots of unis seem to offer a bursary of a few hundred pounds to students who get the maximum grant ( ie those whose parents have low income ) .
I think most automatically grant it ,but you may have to apply - which uni is she going to ?

Valiant1 Tue 30-Aug-11 18:56:45

Thanks gingeroots. and yes am going grey at 27 lol She is going mmu doing computers web design. have been told about the bursary but will not find out if she has it till November and then she won't get it till Feb i believe. which Uni is your dc going too x

gingeroots Tue 30-Aug-11 21:03:43

You're so organised !
I thought the bursary thing was kind of automatic if you were on a full ghrant ....but I could well be wrong !
DC going to a FE/HE college to do a Foundation Degree - really hoping it works out . Hoping he'll work hard .
Good luck with baby .
Funny isn't it - mine off to college just as I'm collecting my pension and yours as you're bringing another into the world .

Valiant1 Tue 30-Aug-11 21:10:54

i think it still as stress full lol I think it is an automatic thing just trying be cautious and not let dd get excited about "extra pennies" smile Thanks for the luck we need it xxxx keep in touch xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now