Talk

Advanced search

online TEFL course whilst living overseas?

(7 Posts)
kippersandjam Sat 23-Jul-11 10:33:46

I am going to be living abroad with my dh and small non school age DC's and would like to do an online TEFL course to enable me to be able to teach English to foreigners. Has anyone done this, and does the qualification stand up back in Europe? I will not be able to attend classes but will be able to get experience where I am going even if I do it for free after I have the qualification. What is the course like and is it worth the money? I was thinking of doing the most expensive online one.

kippersandjam Sat 23-Jul-11 10:37:21

or the celta?

ImperialBlether Wed 10-Aug-11 13:21:09

Did you find out any more about this, kippers? My daughter's thinking of doing the same course.

fraktious Wed 10-Aug-11 13:46:00

Nonono don't go online. Do a CELTA or a trinity TESOL. Even if you get one job with it employers will always be wary if you want to change. Most language schools bin applications with TEFL certs from online schools unless it's backed up by an MA TESOL, DELTA or other higher qualification.

CELTA were going to offer an online version but I haven't seen or heard anything more on that.

ImperialBlether Wed 10-Aug-11 16:12:55

She's arguing the toss at the moment. I don't think she realises a lot of companies write their own reviews. She hasn't any money anyway, so it's okay for now!

I would hate to think of anyone teaching without having any practical lessons. Just think of people who are completely inarticulate with no social skills getting that qualification!

thepanamacanal Fri 12-Aug-11 21:39:58

What Fraktious said. A lot of courses - online and face to face - are expensive but just aren't worth the paper they're written on. The CELTA / Trinity certificates are a very good starting point and are widely recognised. Have a look at this maybe?

http://www.ihlondon.com/online-teacher-training-42/blended-celta/

Look for at least 100 hours' input time, 6 hours of supervised / observed teaching practice and a course which is externally validated ie it's supported by a college, university or exam board (sucha s CAmbridge / Trinity).

Where you are going to teach is important too.

Do PM me if you would like any advice!

kippersandjam Thu 22-Sep-11 19:10:52

thanks, that's all really helpful- i think i shall have to wait until i get some free time (ie, kids at schoolsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now