Talk

Advanced search

I've been really stupid...

(11 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Fri 22-Jul-11 22:11:56

I'm applying for my PGCE through clearing since I kept putting off applying in case I didn't get in to my choices.

Now I have applied to the Institute of Education (London) via clearing. I would have never applied to them in the main round. I would have had no chance of getting in. But I saw they had places and applied.

However, now I can't apply to less prestigious places in case they ask me to interview (like the IoE would even entertain the idea of an interview). It's been 3 days now since they received my details. Doesn't sound like long, but in clearing, places just get snapped up.

Fuck. Am stupid.

purplepidjin Fri 22-Jul-11 22:18:19

Don't run yourself down so much. Why on earth are you any less capable than other candidates? If you're a bit older, you've got life experience which will make you a much more capable teacher!

Apply for as many as you possibly can and enjoy your new career [grin

Changebagsandgladrags Fri 22-Jul-11 22:28:22

OK well I didn't do the 5 day observation in a school in the last 12 months that loads of them have as an essential. I spent a year in a school about...erm...15 years ago blush Although maybe the time I have spent in DS's school would have counted (which I just mentioned in passing).

I meant to do it, but DS was still to young (was under a year). Then they both got the chicken pox which killed off the after half-term period.

I should have aimed lower, but now I am thinking, well they haven't said no...

On the plus side, it's a minority subject (maths).

purplepidjin Fri 22-Jul-11 22:59:08

You're going to be a teacher. The first, and most important, thing to teach them is you can do it. You can. And will. What will you regret more - failing to get onto your ideal course, or wasting a year somewhere shitty wondering if you could have got there?!

javo Tue 02-Aug-11 23:30:24

Why don't you phone up the admissions tutor and ask them how your application is proceeding. My DD changed her mind about her subject choice at uni (for Oct) recently - her school told her there was no way the uni would let her swap as other students applying had been told no - but she phoned, sent them her statement etc by email and was allowed to change!

The personal approach often pays off. I trained as a teacher at the IoE back in the late 80's and at 25 was the youngest on my course! the oldest was in his late 50's - they appreciated life experience.

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 03-Aug-11 18:04:00

I phoned them last week, they said it will take them two weeks to process the applications. So tomorrow I am applying for other places.

cricketballs Wed 17-Aug-11 13:11:52

without wanting to dampen your ambitions the 5 day observation in a school is essential as although you may have spent a some time helping out in your DC's class it does not give you a true picture of what it is truly like working in a school (trust me there is a vast difference in the past 15 years).

There are many who complete the PGCE and then leave the profession as it is a complete eye opener and they are not able to work in this environment day in day out.

Why are you so sure you are the type of person who can/want to teach?

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 17-Aug-11 15:04:43

Over the past few days I've been considering my options anyway.

One university still has to make their decision though.

However, I looked into my OU student record (I have lots of courses I've done knocking around). Just by taking another 120 points will mean I can claim another degree, which if I kept up present performance would be a 1st.

So, this academic year I am going to do those (finish next Feb) and apply again while also building up some recent experience in schools.

I just wasn't able to do the 5 days observation this year because of DS2 being so young and still breastfeeding.

I had built it up in my mind that it had to be this academic year coming, but really it doesn't matter I suppose. If I apply next Feb I'll be in a much stronger position.

cricketballs Wed 17-Aug-11 16:14:37

I think you are doing the right thing by leaving it till next year. The PGCE is hard work especially with young children (my youngest was 2) and not only is it the studying, essays etc but also the placements are full time hours with planning, marking etc etc to do at the same time.

Whilst you have this window though I would do your utmost to ensure you experience as much within schools as possible.

Try and get into different types of schools e.g. primary, secondary, high flying, struggling schools, inner city, rural, faith etc as this will not only show the admissions that you are certain about your career path but also will help you to have an informed choice on not only if this is the correct path for you but also which area you would like to work

good luck xxx

cricketballs Wed 17-Aug-11 16:30:54

I would add that it is important that you experience the different key stages than that you are planning on doing. For example if you are thinking primary then you should still do a couple of days in a secondary school as this will help you in your interview at uni

I did a week at primary, 2 days KS1 and 3 days KS2 and I decided there and then that there was no way I could teach that stage! too many runny noses and mucky hands!

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 17-Aug-11 19:06:17

I am set on Secondary (Maths), although with my second degree I could do Physics, as over half my degree will be in Physics. I would prefer maths though.

I already know I could not do primary. I used to work as a tutor in a saturday school for refugee children and I found the primary age much more difficult than the secondary. Plus I tutored a polish primary school age boy last year so I am dead cert not primary.

OK so I am going to extend my list of schools to approach though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now