Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Combined English Language/English Lit A level - advice required

(4 Posts)
fedup4 Wed 22-Jun-11 10:04:57

My son is interested in doing this at A level but it does say confusingly on the hand out from the college that it isn't a combination of the 2?!

I think straight English Lit might be a bit too heavy for him and I don't think he would really be happy doing straight English Language.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

webwiz Wed 22-Jun-11 15:30:44

Do you know what exam board it is? If you do you could have a quick look at the specification/past papers to see whether it would be something he would be interested in.

The link for aqa is here:
www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/a-level/english-and-media/english-language-and-literature-a.php

but the A and B specifications look very different so you do need to know exactly what the school is offering.

thekidsmom Thu 23-Jun-11 08:03:02

You also need to consider what he wants to do at uni - my DD is doing English so we had to look into this. For some unis, one is more highly thought of than the other plus if he did want to do English it would probably have to be the Eng Lit option.

But, if my memory serves me correctly, even Cambridge say that if your school doesnt do Eng lit and only offers Lang/Lit, it would be considered.... so proably not such a big factor to consder anyway, so, as you were!

eatyourveg Thu 23-Jun-11 16:08:51

english language on its own is not always deemed as favourably as lang/lit or just lit. Not sure if its on the official soft subject list though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now