Talk

Advanced search

Parent of Oxbridge candidate peer support needed 2

(11 Posts)
funnyperson Thu 09-Jun-11 20:50:25

Is this what happens when you reach 1001 posts? Amazing. Mum overseas great to hear you are coming back to blighty. Lets hope the impossible exam doesnt ruin DS's chances- are you going to write in saying how upset he was etc? I heard on radio London this morning from the exams ombudsman that those candidates who were particularly distressed so that it affected their performance/timing would be given special consideration. Yellowstone I am so relieved I didn't do the 1000th post as I would have felt as if I was the only one keeping it going. Mum of DS1 at boarding school getting his grades for cambridge- I am in awe.
I cant see why you are all so convinced DD is going to get her grades. I have exam anxiety eg she wont read the question, she answers the wrong number of questions, she mistimes the paper, she misses out a page in the exam booklet, her pen runs out, etc etc. None of this has, happened yet but I feel it is only a matter of time so I have bought 4 fountain pens. The classics paper was all about Oikos which means the family unit which the Athenians were big on and which, of course, Oedipus, Antigone, Medea and the rest messed up. Our little family unit isn't quite as tragic as the Greeks which always makes me feel better.
Good exam foods: Almonds, chocolate, ice-cream, strawberries, mangoes, leek and mozzarella pancakes.

mumoverseas Fri 10-Jun-11 08:17:30

Hi Funnyperson, shouldn't really be here as DS not going to Oxbridge now but good to catch up with 'old friends'.
I saw a brief article on skynews yesterday about the exams cock-ups. Apparently there were errors in 3 papers. Beggars belief how that can happen, surely you'd think they would check and double check the papers!

I think you need to calm down a bit about your DD as otherwise she might pick up on your stress and become stressed herself. She got an offer at Oxbridge, she knows what is on the line and I'm sure she will achieve her grades. I know easier said than done and I've been worrying about DS's grades but they are almost adults, we need to take a step back. grin

samandcj Fri 10-Jun-11 16:03:38

Hi.May I join you?
DD1 has an offer from Oxford for English. She has just done a 'really hard' History A2 on 16th century Spain. Exciting times!

redfuchsia Mon 13-Jun-11 09:08:59

Hi there, Yr 12 state schooled DD wants to apply to Cam if AS grades good enough. 1st family member to contemplate it so trying to learn as much as possible about application process without appearing to have too high expectations of her and freaking her out. It will be a long wait for all till AS results...

funnyperson Sat 18-Jun-11 16:49:25

Hello redfuschia good luck for your dd, fingers crossed. What is she thinking of doing?
A level exams are progressing, with the added interest of a facebook group protesting against a biology paper where the students were asked to consider pros and cons of culling hedgehogs.hmm I thought the paper quite interesting and intelligently set but then I am not under the same pressures as this year's A level group. Over 5000 students have joined the group and think otherwise. Intriguing to see how the social networking spreads so quickly. DD was low key in her feedback, simply muttered something about 'killing hedgehogs' when I asked her how the paper went, so I assumed I had misheard. Then she showed me the link. Some of the stuff on it is very funny and hopefully helps everyone feel better. I assume the examiners will simply adjust the grade boundaries like they do every year. No let up on the uncertainty. I suspect the paper will become a classic. I do feel for those who have to get A and A star grades though.

redfuchsia Mon 20-Jun-11 15:09:23

Have any of you red Oxbridge Entrance - The Real Rules by Elfi Pallis? If so, how do you rate it?

funnyperson Wed 22-Jun-11 06:14:13

Hello redfuschia-never read it -is it good? Is it the one that talks about 'muscular christians'? If so it made DD laugh. Academics and passion for the subject are said to be the thing as previous posters on the thread (mark 1) said. With a bit of all roundedness.

Good luck to all the DC offer holders. Fingers crossed and prayers being said.

redfuchsia Wed 22-Jun-11 15:00:42

Yes, Muscular Christians! Ho ho. That's the one. Got an old edition so financial chapters woefully out of date but some v funny lines and general advice seems in the right direction.

funnyperson Wed 20-Jul-11 20:02:29

Hello redfuschia how is it going? I forgot to say the obvious and recommend you read part one of this thread as there were some really useful and interesting comments.
Also have you read the new Sutton report which talks about schools with a high Oxford and Cambridge success rate? Google it- its interesting reading.

redfuchsia Fri 22-Jul-11 14:51:06

Thanks for the recommendations. Not sure what's going to happen as DD is going off the idea of Oxbridge having had a very positive time at another university's Open Day. I'm guessing a lot depends on what happens on 18th August, AS results day.

funnyperson Fri 22-Jul-11 19:39:58

redfuschia DD sounds sensible. Oxford and Cambridge are not the only good universities.
Although it is worth choosing one with reliable tuition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now