Talk

Advanced search

200 word statement for college application-Help!

(7 Posts)
Beauregard Wed 08-Jun-11 22:27:08

Hi
I am interested in doing a counselling course and have an interview ,but i am required to submit a 200 word statement on why i want to study counsellingconfused
I have never written one before and would appreciate some guidance on how to begin and format etc.

Mummyisamonster Thu 09-Jun-11 11:15:15

Why do you want to study counselling? What interests you about it? Start off with an exercise in noting down words/phrases that spring to mind when you think about why you want to do this course, what led you to give up work/retrain in counselling, past experiences etc (without making it read like a CV). Hope that helps. I think once you start you'll have loads to say. 200 words isn't too much either. All the best!

voodoomunkee Thu 09-Jun-11 11:18:45

Agree with Mummyis, especially that 200 words isn't actually a lot!

250 is a bout a side of A4 is the theory I always worked on.

Why you want to do the course, what you want to do with it, what you have done or are doing that relates to the course.

Make sure to check spelling and grammar and maybe have somebody look over it for you?

Hth and good luck!

educate Thu 09-Jun-11 16:21:59

Make every word count, and link past experiences/studies with future professional goals. In terms of format, write in paragraphs. Three should be enough.

Beauregard Thu 09-Jun-11 23:00:51

Thankyou i will give it a go

hatwoman Thu 09-Jun-11 23:04:17

I would add to what the others have said - when you give reasons you want to do it and examples of relevant experience try to illustrate that you know what you're in for - that you;ve done your homework. don't say stuff like it's been your life-long dream. (which is great if it is but put in writing comes over a bit airy-fairy)

Beauregard Sat 11-Jun-11 13:09:15

Phew i think i have managed to come up with something lol
Infact i even managed to prepare another personal statement for another course i may be interested in next yeargrin
Thanks for the tips smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: