Talk

Advanced search

Do I want to study Teaching or Social Work?

(12 Posts)
SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 10:05:01

Hmmmmmm

So, I want to return to college and need to do an access to H.E. course.
Do I want to go into teaching or social work? I don't know!!

A few years ago, I decided I wanted to be a social worker and am atm doing a diploma in Social Work with Children and Families (home study course), although it is very interesting, I don't know if I'd ever be emotionally strong enough to work with children and families in that sense.

Last year, I got a full-time job as a SEN teaching assistant and loved it. i really enjoyed helping the children, thinking of fun ways to help them learn, plan lessons and resources etc etc

So, I'm thinking maybe do an access course in teaching, maybe look into doing distance learning course in childcare/early years/ supporting teacher etc, then next year when ds2 enters p/t nursery, look for a job (paid/voluntary) in a SEN school, but once I get a paid job in this field look into doing a teaching course and degree.

It's sounding like I have made my decision, doesn't it?

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 29-May-11 10:10:49

teaching has better flexibility. yes I know teachers don't just do 9-3 term time but you have some flexibility over when/where you do the hours eg evenings and weekends at home. in most SW posts working from home is very difficult, plus you often have on-calls, which can mean working 8am-10pm or so.

also teaching opens up tutoring possibilities as another way to be more flexible in how you earn.

SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 10:13:27

Good points Charlotte
I suppose my SW diploma will still be useful. It has covered things like oppression, working with the family etc etc, all things that will be relevant to children and SEN children.
Maybe once I've done teacher training and worked as a teacher for a few years I could then look at family liaison or education support or something couldn't I?

Goblinchild Sun 29-May-11 10:13:47

Teach in a deprived area and you can do both jobs.

SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 10:14:13

Sad but true Goblin

NorthernGobshite Sun 29-May-11 10:14:29

I am a social worker and have a very flexible job, work school hours, take annual leave for most of hols. I think the job you should train for is the one you feel passionate about and that, from your post, sounds like teaching. Good luck x

rainbowinthesky Sun 29-May-11 10:15:00

I agree with Goblinchild.

SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 10:17:13

Thanks Northern
When I return to work, I want a job that I will enjoy and that I will get satisfaction from.
I think you're right and maybe teaching is the way to go.
Will discuss it with dp I think

NorthernGobshite Sun 29-May-11 10:18:18

and your SW course will help you be a better, more aware teacher.

SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 10:21:21

Maybe NG. I hope so.
Right, so the plan..........
I think for now, I will complete the course I am doing atm, then sign up for a home learning supporting teacher course.
Unless I have passed driving tesxt by then, and then I will enrol on an access course and get the ball rolling that way.

slipperandpjsmum Wed 08-Jun-11 16:54:54

I am a sw and have very flexible working. I get most of the school hols off and if the children have appointments book my meeting etc around them.

I think teaching and social work have some things in common but are very different. I am a cp sw and it is very emotionally challenging in that way I think its more like nursing. I am with the family at some of the most difficult periods of their lives, I am the one who tells them the news they did not want to hear.

Of course there are lots of different areas of social work but from the sounds of it you are interested in children and families and most sw jobs do require you to do child protection for a while at least.

I agree with Northengobshite do what you really feel a passion for. SW is a vocation not just a job and if your hearts not in it I can imagine it would be a nightmare!!

bubaluchy Wed 08-Jun-11 20:14:05

Hello, I am doing and access to HE at the moment, I have gone part time so am actually only at college 8 hours per week.

In the first year (which I'm finishing off now) you do modules that aren't specifically related to your chosen career path, so it gives you more time to either get some work experience in both fields or just to bide your time a bit.

In September I will begin teaching modules but if I wanted to I could choose any of the options i.e social work, nursing e.t.c

So don't feel pressured to choose straight away.

Just to let you know, I asked my tutor (who will eventually be teaching me for "teaching modules"), whether I could do my mandatory weeks placement in a special needs school, (I have worked in a VERY inspiring SEN school too) and he said no, it's too narrow, it's best to get experience in a 'mainstream school' so that when you go for your uni interviews they know that you will be prepared for the schools you'll work in as part of your degree.
I hope this helps and good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: