Talk

Advanced search

Ukcat tests, oh my god its one hurdle after another and the AS levels have only just started started

(12 Posts)
wheredidyoulastseeit Thu 19-May-11 12:59:59

I have just entered my daughter for the UKcat tests, apart from the advice on the website are there any cheap /free test papers available, I know there are courses available but we can't afford them. squeezed middle here too poor to pay but too much income to get help.

turboorange Thu 19-May-11 17:13:47

Have you spoken to your daughter's school? If they have several students that will be applying for medical degrees they might run some extra sessions to help prepare them for UKCAT.

wheredidyoulastseeit Thu 19-May-11 20:00:53

thanks for that but I have just checked with DD1 and she says there is no special help available at the school.

keynesian Fri 20-May-11 16:44:39

Could you ask the the school whether they might consider running some sessions?

enidroach Fri 20-May-11 16:57:04

My DD's school did nothing either. We bought www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305906878&sr=8-1 and she studied it over the summer. If you are on a low income/receipt of EMA you can get the test paid for by a bursary.

megagusset Fri 20-May-11 18:07:57

Welcome to the med school treadmill.
My ds's school gave no session either (although they did for Bmat...). There are few free sites, and tbh those few aren't really worth the money. Try the student room and ebay, see if any previous applicants are selling on their kaplan books, other good book is 600 Ukcat questions book, again someone might be selling it on. Tbh I'd suggest not worrying about ukcat prep until after AS exams are over, then start afterwards.

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195&order=desc

megagusset Fri 20-May-11 18:09:23

not 'worth the money' , but 'not worth the effort' !

megagusset Fri 20-May-11 18:15:23

ooh, found this - www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=practiceQuestions (really wish we could edit posts...)

wheredidyoulastseeit Fri 20-May-11 18:34:22

Thanks Megagusset, I will follow your advice,

Get the UKCAT practice book.. any of them will do! My daughter got one the weekend before she sat her UKCAT and worked through it and it made SUCH a difference! (DD is indeed now just finishing her first year of Med school smile)

My DD didn't have any help from school either (bog standard comp)
Good luck to your DD smilesmile

figroll Sat 04-Jun-11 10:53:57

The only thing I would add is that the books were far harder than the actual test and my dd got so anxious about it that she didn't do fantastically well on the UKCAT due to nerves. It's all on line and is timed. She got into the uni she wanted to get into. I can't remember her score, but it was quite average despite getting A*s and As at A level.

Good luck - the whole application process is very stressful particularly when they get rejected after interview. She has just finished her first year's exams which she found equally stressful. Sometimes I wish she had just gone and worked at Tesco!!

mumof3teens Sat 11-Jun-11 09:19:50

Will all be worth it in the end - DS1 just found out he has passed his medical finals yesterday, so is now officially a Dr - yippeeeee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now