Talk

Advanced search

Access to HE course

(5 Posts)
Debs75 Mon 16-May-11 15:46:17

Hi I am wanting to train as a midwife and as i don't have high enough a levels i have been told I can do the access course.
Has anyone on here done it and how intense is it?

keynesian Tue 17-May-11 08:55:29

Hi, I did a part time - over two years - HE Access course alongside friends doing full time/1 year.

Full time is intense but how you manage depends on whether you are working, have small children etc.

Often there are induction courses and as part of this they focus on time management and planning which helps you to see if and where you have the time for the course. The drop out rate is high and they will want to be as sure as possible that you'll be able to cope.

Best thing is to talk to your local FE college and see what they are offering. I know mine only offers full time now with a limited number of places and subjects available because of funding cutbacks.

NulliusInVerba Tue 17-May-11 09:49:13

Hi I agree with keynesian, basically I know a few people who have done access to later do midwifery, and it had a very high drop out rate. I think people underestimate the level of work involved. Also its a mix of subjects and I personally think that makes it harder.

If they offer the 1 yr day or the 2yr night, I would advise you do the evening if at all possible. My friends college actually stopped the 1yr course because so many people dropped out or couldnt cope with the workload with children. But I have done a similar course before on a 2yr and passed.

Debs75 Tue 17-May-11 13:31:21

Thanks, when I plan to do it I will have a 3, 5, 14 and 17 year old. Luckily I will have a DP at home with the little ones. I will find out if they do the 2 yr course as I could thern do it a year earlier.

MrsMagnolia Tue 14-Jun-11 23:01:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now