Talk

Advanced search

DS wants to go to university in Europe.

(11 Posts)
Batteryhuman Wed 13-Apr-11 17:40:08

My Ds is looking at economics and business degree courses in Europe, particularly Holland where there are a number of degrees taught in english. Has anyone else any experience of this, the admissions process, living and studying etc that they can share?

sandripples Wed 13-Apr-11 20:24:55

No I don't but the Independent had a special section on studying in the Netherlands if you can get it, a couple of weeks ago. I noticed as my DD is thinking of doing an MA there. The articles were very positive about life as a student there.

slipshodsibyl Fri 15-Apr-11 17:56:02

The Guardian has an article here too: www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/06/university-europe-no-debt

Have you seen this site: www.nuffic.nl

The Netherlands is very keen to attract international students. Many home students are taught in English as that is the language of much of the course literature/ text books.

The universities have students who are assigned to help those new to the country to do things like buy a bicycle! There is more of a cafe culture there than in the UK and less problem with alcohol and young people. It is still a new country to learn about though so visiting is extra important I think. I have no direct experience of admissions, but I would call those you night be interested in.

frakyouveryverymuch Fri 15-Apr-11 17:58:34

My DH did his Bachelors in Maastricht. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions that he might be able to help with - he doesn't come on MN!

AlpinePony Thu 19-May-11 07:40:16

There was a thread on mn about a year ago (?) talking about university in Maastricht, I seem to remember frak contributing.

quirrelquarrel Fri 03-Jun-11 09:28:46

I know a girl who turned down Oxford and UCL to go to Maastricht uni!

I was born in Maastricht grin it's a beautiful city.

eatyourveg Sun 05-Jun-11 19:27:45

ds1 is looking at a Dutch degree probably Amsterdam. I know Maastricht is well regarded but know nothing about any others save for what is posted on TSR where Utrecht seems to be the most popular.

I'm trying to find something similar to unistats where I can work out which places are Russell Group type places and which are micky mouse institutions

Have you looked at www.studyinholland.co.uk/ its where we have started looking for info

quirrelquarrel Wed 06-Jul-11 10:08:49

I'm applying for Utrecht, definitely. I would love love love to go there. I don't care about whether it's prestigious or not, as long as it's not an absolute dump (and UCU was 50th in some world rankings a while ago, I think).

Batteryhuman Mon 11-Jul-11 18:33:54

Looks like Maastricht, Utrecht and Groningen all have lots of courses in english,. Now DS has to work through the applications process.

RidcullySentTheBursarMad Sun 17-Jul-11 18:13:06

Groningen is in the middle of nowhere. Utrecht is nice, the university has a good reputation and it's easy via train to Amsterdam for flights home. Maastricht is also nice.

Amsterdam, of course, has two universities, the University of Amsterdam and the "Free University" (Vrije Universiteit). Both are well regarded, though as always in cities with more than one institution, there is a lot of competition between the two.

One thing I would say is that even though the course is taught in English, it is worth while socially to learn some Dutch. Some universities do have lessons for foreign students.

RidcullySentTheBursarMad Sun 17-Jul-11 18:18:12

Oh, and don't forget, Holland is a region in the Netherlands. Many Dutch from outside Holland don't like the two to be used interchangeably (it would be the equivalent of calling the whole of England, "the Home Counties").

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now