Talk

Advanced search

If you get a place at Imperial, and live in London, any chance at all of a place in halls of residence?

(13 Posts)
wombly Fri 19-Nov-10 00:26:29

I can't remember what kind of student accommodation Imperial has - is there any chance of a London student getting a look-in? Or is it a case of having to live at home or in private rental?

wombly Fri 19-Nov-10 00:59:37

bear

webwiz Fri 19-Nov-10 09:44:03

They have some halls of residence - My friends son was in them for his first year.

Acinonyx Fri 19-Nov-10 09:49:00

Imperial has halls (catered and self-catering) - and also, there are intercollegiate halls shared by several colleges. Last I knew, it doesn't matter whether you already live in London. Chances are though, that you will not get a place for all 3 years - possibly not 2.

wombly Fri 19-Nov-10 11:28:44

Thanks - just the first year would be fine. Somehow I thought that because we live in London we wouldn't stand a chance.

That is fantastic news actually.

lazymumofteenagesons Fri 19-Nov-10 11:48:03

Friends daughter got a place in Halls for her first year at Imperial and they live in South kensington! In fact home was closer than halls which I think were in Fulham.

betelguese Mon 22-Nov-10 22:55:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumeeee Tue 23-Nov-10 11:57:25

DD1 had a differnt view from you betelguese.
She went to uni in Cardiff ,which is our home town. But although s we said she could stay at home if she wanted to ,she decided to go to Halls. This was because she felt she would get into uni life beter and be able to make more friends if she was in halls, She was right and being in halls actually taught her to be more independent. DD2 had to go into halls as she is in Kingston about 3hours drive away from us, She like her sister has grown up over the first year at uni and she has made lots of friends. Both thier halls had a security person on duty at all times and there were also miantenance people who looked after things like leaky taps.

betelguese Tue 23-Nov-10 12:18:21

betelguese Tue 23-Nov-10 12:46:39

amerryscot Sat 04-Dec-10 15:23:06

I don't know about Imperial, but my son has recently started at UCL. We live within the M25 and he has a halls place right across the road from his department. It was basically his first choice.

iskra Thu 13-Jan-11 12:28:08

I don't know if it's changed, but when I was going to uni in London, there was a caveat on the form about those who live within the M25 not necessarily getting a place. However my partner went to Imperial, his home address was just the other side of Hyde Park, & he got a halls place.

haggis01 Thu 13-Jan-11 12:40:19

That's right iskra my DD was told this at a recent interview day and it put her off. I think the OP needs to check with the Uni housing office. My DD was also told that she would not be top of the list but only allocated after others from outside M25 so may not get her first choices. However, it seems most actual students on here have got their first choice. The OP could also pose this question on the Student room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now