Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. See our highchair reviews to find out which highchairs MNHQ have tested and awarded Mumsnet Best. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I need your help!

(8 Posts)
Jenn0 Fri 29-Jun-18 14:55:59

I hope it’s okay to post this on here- I am currently in my final year studying a degree in product design and for my final module I am looking to design a new product for the baby/toddler/parenting market- so I need your help. I am looking to hear any problems you face as a parent regarding ANYTHING. Whether it’s a product you are currently using or are in need of- or any issues faced generally. This can be to do with breastfeeding, to bottle feeding, to travelling with a child, to prams, cots, car seats, night routines, health/ medical related issues- such as- babies temperature concerns (just as an example), worries you may have, problems with changing a babies nappy, to highchairs, carriers, feeding time, and/or a product for mothers or expecting mothers-does not have to be for the child- for parenting in general- health/wellbeing/needs/wants.

Honestly looking for any suggestions, to see what real parents or expecting parents -the challenges you face daily and/or would like to see on the market. Also like I mentioned anything that needs resolving from existing products, for example there are many breastfeeding pumps and various products for feeding but are you still facing a problem?
Or something completely new which is not yet on the market that solves the issue.

I am looking for the problems you face, so I can design a product to resolve it-this can be as simple or as complex as you like, I will be grateful for any responses, thankyou. smile

SleepWarrior Fri 29-Jun-18 15:10:57

Literally anything?

Because once my babies could roll over and lift themselves a little, I had to lower the cot to the bottom setting and it was so hard to put them in without dropping them or waking them or falling in myself!

I always dreamed of having a cot that you could gently place the baby down in with it on the top setting, then turn some kind of crank and softly wind them down to a safe lower level.

I never understood why I hadn't seen one in shops because I would have snapped it up! grin

mumof1 Fri 29-Jun-18 15:19:54

I was very frustrated by cot design too but more so by the cot bars..as baby cot more mobile he was getting his arms and legs stuck and banging them in his sleep . He began to hate the cot and I eventually put him in a travel cot with the soft mesh sides which he seems to find comforting and transferred the cot mattress into this. Other people's solution to the cot bar issue was to put them straight into a toddler bed but I felt he was too young for this at 10 months and I didn't want him roaming around the bedroom unsupervised. So maybe cots with mesh sides?

The 2 things I have found to be really simple but the best are the ikea antilop highchair (so many others on the market but this is honestly the best in terms of being easily cleaned, transported and supporting baby in sitting up straight ) and the tommee tippee beakers with handle and spout which cost £1.50 . My mum used them with me when transitioning from the bottle and these worked best for my son despite trying lots of other "non spill " designs and the 360 miracle cup which he didn't like at all. Hope this helps x

Jenn0 Mon 02-Jul-18 18:23:18

Thankyou for your responses! They are really useful, and have started my thinking - designing a new cot would be really interesting x

Jellyjumpers Sat 11-Aug-18 09:25:14

I feel you would want the cot to be able to also attach to a bed as a bedside cot. Would it be possible to have pieces folding underneath with extended mattrice pieces to allow it to be converted into a longer bed without needing to store anything. And maybe some form of newborn or small baby hamock or rocker that could be gifted our and used free standing or attached to a door in another ruin. Being able to wheel the cot from room to room would be good

LlamaPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 09:37:36

I want a stylish affordable high chair that looks like a piece of designer furniture, not an awful brightly coloured piece of plastic that sticks out like a sore thumb in my neutral coloured interior. It also needs an adjustable footrest (it’s more difficult for babies to learn fine motor skills like eating if they don’t have foot support). Ideally it would also be usable in the long term - maybe the legs come off to adapt the chair into a little rocker or scooter or something that lasts till the child is 6 or 7.

The Ikea Antilop lacks a footrest. The Ikea Langur doesn’t have an adjustable footrest. The Stokke Tripp Trapp is known to be easily tipped over backwards.

Currently I’m looking at the Nomi Evomove, iCandy MiChair and the Budtz Bendix Tower chair but they’re so expensive! Is it so difficult to make a cheap adjustable chair in a neutral colour like white or grey?

mrs2468 Sat 11-Aug-18 09:40:54

I agree on the cot. After a c section I in the first few weeks I couldnt reach in to get the baby in our out and had to get my husband to do it. Something to help with that would be great. Also in this day in age I'm surprised there is not a machine that washes, sterilised and made a bottle but maybe I'm wishful thinking.

LlamaPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 09:41:01

A folding high chair with tray that fits in the basket under the pram would be good too. Restaurant high chairs are gross and usually lack trays. The folding chairs currently on the market are big and bulky, or come in awful bright colours and patterns, or don’t fold away neatly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: