Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

twin highchair

(16 Posts)
Ruby786 Sun 11-Oct-15 03:04:51

Hi parents, I'm a third year product design undergraduate. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions as I am looking to design a modular high chair that will be suitable for twins or siblings. I would like your opinion on the idea or suggestions that you think I should consider?.Thank You. Looking forward to your replies??

neversleepagain Sun 11-Oct-15 11:33:09

I have twins and feeding them close together where they can reach each others food would have been a nightmare.

The best design for highchairs (especially when you need two) are... Easy to clean, small footprint and not having to waste time strapping them in (Baby Bijorn meet all these criteria for us)

MidnightRed Sun 11-Oct-15 11:41:32

My first thought was that weening is messy enough as it is. The last thing you want to do is have them close enough together that they can smear weetabix in each others hair as well as they own. How would you stop them grabbing each other's food, spoons etc?

As PP said, as with all high chars, easy to clean and folds up small is what you really want. The high tech ones with padded seats etc really don't make life easier because they are hard to clean.

AnnaMarlowe Sun 11-Oct-15 11:44:12

Sorry I think this is a poor idea for exactly the same reasons as * neversleep*. They'll throw/eat each other's food. Leading to screaming. Lots and lots of screaming.

Redcrayons Sun 11-Oct-15 11:47:00

I used to have mine facing each other with me sat in the middle, for all the reasons mentioned above.

AnnaMarlowe Sun 11-Oct-15 11:59:01

We had very fancy, expensive high chairs. Which were a nightmare to clean. Looking back I wish I'd bought 2 ikea high chairs at a fraction of the cost which are easy to clean.

If you wan to revolutionise high chair design, make something which folds flat for storage (which the ikea on doesn't), is really really easy to clean and has a small footprint when in use (for small kitchens)

GoofyIsACow Sun 11-Oct-15 12:06:02

Agree with all the above, we had two ikea antilop chairs and they were placed at opposite ends of the table!

Redcrayons Sun 11-Oct-15 12:20:51

Apart from the pram I'm struggling to think of any special twin stuff I bought.

Ruby786 Sun 11-Oct-15 12:25:34

Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it. I was thinking of something along the line of an I candy pram which has them facing towards each other but with sufficient room apart.but I understand it's not practical unless you have a huge kitchen i would need to make the footprint as compact as possiblr. Are there any other products you would recommend could be needed for twins or baby's that you wish someone had designed

GoofyIsACow Sun 11-Oct-15 12:25:46

Me either red, nothing specifically twin related.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Sun 11-Oct-15 12:29:53

I'm afraid I can't see how it would beneficial at all. I didn't have anything twin specific, it's more that you jut need two of everything!

Redcrayons Sun 11-Oct-15 12:48:10

Have you tried the Tamba forum, it's specifically for multiple births? You might find that parents with higher multiples have more requirements for specially designed stuff than those with twins.

neversleepagain Sun 11-Oct-15 13:21:24

In the early days with round the clock feeding I used to wish there was something to help feed both babies at once so you had at least one hand free. Apart from the Podee bottle things, there is nothing. Also a wrap/sling that you can very quickly plonk one screaming baby into while you are trying to change the nappy of another screaming baby!

Apart from a buggy and twin trike we bought nothing else twin specific.

Dh made them a double toddler bed

AnnaMarlowe Sun 11-Oct-15 18:39:07

There isn't (or wasn't) a range of changing bags designed for twins.

Something designed to hang on a double buggy and have room for more of everything. Not double the size (because it would be too big to carry) but larger because you have to carry twice as many nappies clothes etc.

mangocoveredlamb Sun 11-Oct-15 18:45:22

My friend with twins was recently bemoaning having to take two travel cots on holiday, what about some sort of lightweight two cots one bag type thing!

AnnaMarlowe Sun 11-Oct-15 18:50:19

mango tell your friend to look at these: www.travellingcot.co.uk/best-lightweight-travel-cot/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: