Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing highchairs. If you want to buy or sell highchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ikea antilop - as good as everyone says?

(13 Posts)
Lazymummy2014 Fri 14-Nov-14 14:25:27

Going shopping for pfb's first high chair on Saturday, is the ikea high chair all its cracked up to be? I like the sound of the easy cleaning and the price is fab! But I'm a bit worried it could be less supportive than others and that it might not be as stable - we have a dog who might end up walking through / into it.

Petallic Fri 14-Nov-14 14:28:35

Yes. I threw out our very nice wooden john lewis high chair for a £14 piece of plastic - comfier, far easier to clean, lightweight too be around, legs come off so easy to throw in boot for weekend as at grandparents and I've never had one fall over with 2 small toddlers and a dog. Easily the best high chair for the money!

TarkaTheOtter Fri 14-Nov-14 14:28:55

It's pretty stable as has a very wide base. I'd recommend buying a "harness" from mothercare to replace the lap belt once your baby gets more mobile to prevent escaping.
They do an inflatable back cushion which adds a bit of support or put a rolled up tea towel behind baby. Tbh though they shouldn't really be eating solids until they are able to pretty much sit up by themselves anyway.

Shockingundercrackers Fri 14-Nov-14 14:29:28

Yep, tis fab. Ds1 sat in his for two years and it's come out again for DS2... Still going strong - stable, looks fab (unlike most high chairs which a fugly) and easy to clean.

It's the maclaren of high chairs... Yes you could be different and buy something else, but why bother?

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Nov-14 14:30:52

It's great. The legs spread nicely so it's really stable. Wider footprint than you'd expect bit that's not a big problem.

It dismantles easily for travel, you can pop the whole thing in the dishwasher, it's the one in almost every cafe so it's familiar ...

If your PFB needs support you can (or could) buy inflatable inserts at ikea. If not in store, check eBay.

It's definitely that or the Stokke for me, and I know which price I prefer too grin

Figfog Fri 14-Nov-14 14:31:14

We found it absolutely brilliant- totally stable, easy to clean and easy to take down if needed by taking off the legs.

I also regularly put the seat and tray though the dishwasher too and it's held up brilliantly.

Jackiebrambles Fri 14-Nov-14 14:31:23

Yes it is. We've got one and love it. Its very stable, much more stable than others I have seen plus the cleaning is a doddle.

We bought one for the grandparents house too!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 14-Nov-14 14:31:56

Also, you don't need huge amounts of support in a high chair. At this age baby is sitting anyway. It's not like a pram or car seat.

MarthasHarbour Fri 14-Nov-14 14:35:40

Yes definitely, far and away the best one. We have it for DS2 and i quickly regretted not buying it for DS1. It is the most comfortable, practical, value for money highchair on the market.

You can tell the value of it as most restaurants and cafe's have them. My mum is also investing in one for her grandbubba's. smile

ClearlyMoo Fri 14-Nov-14 14:39:41

Well I'm going to go against the grain here. We have an IKEA antilop AND a stokke Tripp trapp. I've just started BLW and I thought we'd use the antilop to start with for ease of cleaning etc

However we've ended up using the Stokke Tripp Trapp with cushions off. Against the table (wipe clean cloth taped up under table). It's working really well as DD is right up at the table with us.

My random top high chair tip for both sorts is to use a small silicon trivet mat (ridged if possible) under the baby's bottom to help them stay put without straps. We prefer not to strap her in so this works well.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Fri 14-Nov-14 14:40:57

Yep I've got two, brilliant

Squtternutbaush Fri 14-Nov-14 14:46:06

We've used the Antilop a few times in cafes and thought it was great but we don't have an IKEA anywhere near and they don't deliver here so we managed to pick up a Little Helper one which is very similar and I prefer it.

It has more support at the back as its all one height and comes around the sides a bit too, it comes with a washable seat pad and legs that split in half to make it a high or low chair. Admittedly though I don't use the cushion as its just easier to wipe down.

Overall I prefer the one we have (£25 but we got ours second hand for £10) but it is very similar and had we lived near Ikea I'd have gotten that without a second thought.

Lazymummy2014 Fri 14-Nov-14 15:22:31

Thanks all! Will get one tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now